When you access or leave the Portfolio in MSN Money, you receive the following error message:
MSN Money cannot save your portfolio to the server at this time, so any changes will be viewable on this computer only. When the server is available your changes will be saved on MSN Money and then will be viewable from multiple computers.
Your changes to the portfolio are not saved to the server.
This problem occurs if one of the following conditions
- The MSN Money Web site is experiencing server-related
- The local copy of your data file is corrupted.
- Antivirus, firewall, or other Internet Security software or settings are blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers.
- The browser window that shows the MSN Money Portfolio was left open for more than 24 hours which resulted in expiring your sign in.
Close all the browser windows, and then restart the browser and visit MSN Money. See whether this resolves the problem.
Examine the MSN Money Network Status for any known site or server events. To do this, visit the following MSN Web site:
Make a backup of your current data, and then move the local file so that a new file can be created from the data that is stored on the server. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the Portfolio under Other Tasks, click More, click File options, and then click Back up.
- Remove all the local Portfolio data files. To do this, follow these steps:
Your data will automatically be downloaded from the server side and a new "My Portfolio.mny" file will be created from that data.
- Close all Internet Explorer windows.
- Click Start, and then click My Documents.
- Create a new folder that is named "Backup" in My Documents.
- Click View, click Details, and then click the Name column to group the files by their
- Press and hold the CTRL key while you left-click to select each file whose name
starts with "My Portfolio." After they are all selected, click Edit on the
folder menu bar, and then click Cut.
- Open the new Backup folder, click Edit, and then click Paste to move all the
"My Portfolio" files to this folder.
- Open Internet Explorer, and then access the Portfolio again.
- Access the Portfolio, verify that you can change this new file, and then save the file to the server. If you cannot save the new file to the server, there may be something on this system that is blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers. Antivirus, firewall, or Internet Security software could be blocking the Portfolio's communication with the MSN Money servers.
Note If the Portfolio has not successfully saved to the MSN Money servers in the past 90 days, the MSN Money servers will force an update of the local file. Most likely, the local file will now show old data.
You can restore a backup file that has more current data and verify that the Portfolio can now successfully save to the server. For example, you can restore a backup file exactly like the backup file that you made in step 1 with more current data. If the backup file fails, the file may be damaged. You can try to repair the backup file by using the File Repair tools that are available in Microsoft Money 2006. To obtain the trial version of Money 2006, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Note
Microsoft Money 2007 and Money Plus are incompatible with the MSN Money Portfolio. Therefore, if you open your Portfolio file in Money 2007 or Money Plus, you will be unable to use that converted file on MSN Money.
If the repairs report no problems and the backup file will not correctly restore in MSN Money's Portfolio, use Money 2006 or an earlier version of Money to upload the data to the MSN Money servers. Money 2007 is incompatible with MSN Money Portfolio. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Money, and then open or restore the backup file.
- Make sure that Money is using the same Windows Live ID credentials that you use in MSN Money's Portfolio. To change the Windows Live ID credentials, click File, and then click Password Manager.
- Enable synching with the MSN Money servers. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Tools.
- Click Settings.
- Click Access Money on the Web.
- If you are prompted to select between the data that is already on the MSN Money servers and the data in this Money file, select the data in the Money file.
If you have problems completing these steps, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
You cannot synchronize data between Microsoft Money and MSN Money
Article ID: 272645 - Last Review: June 20, 2008 - Revision: 5.0
|kbbug kberrmsg kbpending KB272645|