Article ID: 2733915 - View products that this article applies to.
A scheduled Configuration Manager 2007 backup runs and appears to complete but the database files are not present in the backup location. There are no errors logged in the smsbkup.log or the smssqlbkup.log and they both show that the backup was successful.
This can occur if the database was attached in SQL using lower case characters for the database name. Note that this issue happens only when the database was first detached and then reattached again using the lower case database name.
Follow the steps mentioned below to properly detach the database and attach it back with an upper case name.
1. On the Configuration Manager site server, stop the following services:
SMS Agent Host (on the server where the management point for that site is installed)
2. On the SQL Server stop the following service:
3. Perform the following SQL commands or manually right-click and choose the Tasks->Detach option.
EXEC sp_detach_db @dbname = '<DB Name>';
4. Attach the database either using the SQL commands below or manually by using the Databases->Attach option. If you're doing it manually, make sure that the Attach As column has the correct DB name in upper case.
CREATE DATABASE <DB Name in upper case>
ON (FILENAME = '<SQL DB file path>\<db>.mdf'),
(FILENAME = '<SQL DB log file path>\<db>.ldf')
4. Restart the services on the SQL server and the Configuration Manager server.
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151500)for other considerations.
Article ID: 2733915 - Last Review: July 25, 2012 - Revision: 2.0