This article applies to Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
releases. To remove previous pre-release product versions, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to uninstall Visual Studio 11 Beta
How to uninstall Visual Studio 11 Developer Preview
How to uninstall Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate
If you want to install the latest Visual Studio 2012 release over the Release Candidate, you do not need to uninstall Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate
because Visual Studio 2012 will be upgraded to the newer version. For more information and known upgrade issues, please review our installation notes
To manually remove a Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
product, we recommend that you first uninstall the main product or products, such as Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate
. Then, uninstall the other supporting products that may be installed.
To forcibly remove most packages listed below, see Forcibly removing Visual Studio 2012
User-generated assets such as project files and custom settings are neither removed nor affected by uninstalling Visual Studio. To uninstall Visual Studio, follow these steps:
- Open Programs and Features in the control panel (formerly known as Add or Remove Programs, or “ARP”). Alternatively, you can open it as follows.
- Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
- Type control appwiz.cpl and press OK (Enter).
- Uninstall all the main product(s) from the following list that are installed.
Hint In Control Panel, you can search for Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 to filter the list of products accordingly.
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Premium
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Professional
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express for Web
- Click View installed updates. Uninstall any update that is listed under the category Visual Studio 2012.
Optionally uninstall the following shared packages that may also be installed with MicrosoftVisual Studio 2012
. Sometimes a package may still appear even after uninstalling it. If this happens, uninstall it again since more than one package with the same name has been installed.
You may be prompted that uninstalling a product may affect other products.
- Click Yes only if you are sure you no longer need the features associated with the package.
- Click No to leave the package installed.
The order in which you uninstall packages is important; the list below indicates the order in which you should uninstall the packages. The version numbers may be newer than what is shown below if they were subsequently updated. Warning
These packages may also be used by other products on the computer. These products include Visual Studio 2010
and Visual Studio 2008
- Microsoft Web Deploy dbSqlPackage Provider - enu
- Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools – enu (11.1.20627.00)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects (x64)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Management Objects
- Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types (x64)
- Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU
- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 ENU
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express LocalDB
- Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools Build Utilities - enu (11.1.20627.00)
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Language Service
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Command Line Utilities
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Native Client
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Data-Tier App Framework
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Transact-SQL Compiler Service
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Transact-SQL ScriptDom
- Prerequisites for SSDT
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x86)
- Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 3
- Microsoft ASP.NET Web Pages
- WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2
- Microsoft Web Platform Installer 4.0
- IIS 8.0 Express
- Microsoft Web Deploy 3.0
Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
may also install the following important system updates. We recommend that you leave them installed on your system. Some of these may appear in Installed Updates
which is a link within Programs and Features
These updates may also be used by other products on the machine including Visual Studio 2010
, Visual Studio 2008
, or any applications built with either of these products by you or another developer.
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
If you find that one or more products stop functioning after uninstalling Microsoft Visual Studio 2012
please repair those products.
You can also remove Visual Studio 2012 and its optional shared packages
by using a new command line switch. If you have multiple Visual Studio 2012 products installed, any common packages will still remain until all VS2012 products are removed.
Even if you have already uninstalled the main product, you can still download the setup application
and use it to run the following command to remove the rest of the packages except for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and Visual C++ Runtime.Warning
Running this command may remove some packages even if they are still in use like those listed in Optional shared packages
- Download the setup application you used to originally install Visual Studio 2012. If you installed from media, please insert that media.
- Open a command prompt.
- Click Run on the Start menu (Start + R).
- Type cmd and press OK (Enter).
- Type in the full path to the setup application and pass the following command line switches: /uninstall /force
Example: D:\vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force
- Click the Uninstall button and follow the prompts.
If you have any questions or encounter any issues, please visit our Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum
for other considerations.
Article ID: 2771441 - Last Review: October 19, 2012 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Beta
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows 8
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop
- Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone
- Microsoft Visual Studio Premium 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2012
- Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2012