Select the product you need help with
- Internet Explorer
- Windows Phone
- More products
Supported scenarios for deploying Microsoft Office as a sequenced App-V Package
Article ID: 2772509 - View products that this article applies to.
Deploying Microsoft Office as a sequenced Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V) Package is a common request. This document describes the supported scenarios for various versions of Microsoft Office and Microsoft App-V.
The following product versions are included in this KB:
1. Microsoft App-V: 4.6, 5.0
2. Microsoft Office: 2007, 2010, Office 365 ProPlus (Click-To-Run)
Supported Versions of Office and App-V
Before deploying Microsoft Office, it must first be packaged into the App-V file format. The packaging process can be accomplished by following a prescribed set of steps, or by using an App-V Package Accelerator, or by using the Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run. The table below lists the availability and supported versions of Office and App-V. For each version of App-V the following packaging methods is included:
1. Prescriptive Guidance. This is a text document that describes the specific steps a Sequencing Engineer needs to follow to create an App-V package.
2. Package Accelerator. The Package Accelerator was introduced in App-V 4.6 SP1. It provides a turnkey way to generate an App-V package.
3. Office Deployment Tool. The Office Deployment Tool is part of Office 365 ProPlus (Click-To-Run). It is used to create an .APPV package for Office 365 ProPlus (Click-To-Run) using the latest released version of Office 365 ProPlus (Click-To-Run). This tool eliminates the need for sequencing Microsoft Office using the App-V 5.0 sequencer or a deployment kit. The .APPV package is seamlessly created and ready for deployment as an .appv package.
Office 365 ProPlus(Click-To-Run)
2. Personal VDI
2. Pooled VDI
3. Windows ToGo
Deployment Considerations for Office 2010 using App-V 5.0
Deploying the Office 2010 .APPV Package
Before you deploy the Office 2010 .APPV Package to an App-V Client machine, running of package scripts should be enabled on the client. One way to do that is via PowerShell. From an elevated PowerShell command, type:
Set-AppvClientConfiguration -EnablePackageScripts 1
If Package Scripts are not enabled on the machine, publishing fails with an error specifying that a script within the package could not be run.
Note: The Office 2010 .APPV package must be deployed globally to the target machine.
Customizing the Office 2010 .APPV Package
The Office 2010 .APPV package can be customized for deployment by using the App-V 5.0's Dynamic Deployment Configuration file. If using the Dynamic Deployment Configuration file, make sure to edit the file as below before you add or publish the Office 2010 .APPV package in your environment.
1. Open the Dynamic Deployment Configuration file in an editor
2. Search for “COM Mode” and change its value from “Isolated” to “Integrated”.
3. Search for “InProcessEnabled” and change its value from “false” to “true”.
4. Search for “Objects Enabled” and change its value from “true” to “false”.
5. Save the file after you have made the changes.
Using Add-Ins with the Office 2010 .APPV Package
To use an Add-In with the Office 2010 package, sequence the Add-In to build an .APPV package. Then deploy the Add-In package with the Office 2010 package in a connection group by leveraging App-V 5.0 Connection Groups. Please make sure to make the same edits to Dynamic Deployment Configuration file of the Add-In .APPV package as you would have made to the Dynamic Deployment Configuration file of the Office 2010 package and publish the Add-In as Global.
Supported Office Co-Existence Scenarios using App-V
When deploying multiple versions of Office to a single machine using App-V, the following co-existence configurations are supported:
- Office 365 ProPlus(Click-To-Run) on App-V 5.0 can coexist with:
- Office 2007 on App-V 4.6 or App-V 5.0
- Office 2010 on App-V 4.6
- Office 2010(Isolated) on App-V 5.0
- Office 2010 or Office 2007 installed by MSI
- Office 365 ProPlus(Click-To-Run) on App-V 5.0 cannot coexist with Office Click-to-Run because they will register the same extension points
- Office 365 ProPlus(Click-To-Run) .APPV package & Office 2010 .APPV package must be published globally to the machine
- Office 2010(Integrated) on App-V 5.0 cannot coexist with Office Click-To-Run or Office ProPlus(Click-To-Run) on App-V 5.0 because they will register similar extension points.
Additional Information on sequencing Microsoft Office
How to sequence Office 2010 in App-V 4.5 SP2 or App-V 4.6: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462
Prescriptive Guidance for Sequencing Office 2010 in App-V 4.6 sp1: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2627274
Prescriptive Guidance for Sequencing Office 2010 in App-V 5.0: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=285404
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 for Terminal Services
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.6 for Windows Desktops
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0 for Terminal Services
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 5.0 for Windows Desktops