Article ID: 2801185
This article describes how to enable debug tracing in Microsoft System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager SP1 (VMM). VMM ETL traces provide useful debug logging for troubleshooting a wide variety of VMM issues.
To enable VMM debug logging, use the following steps:
1. Create a folder called C:\vmmlogs.
2. Open an elevated PowerShell window on the VMM server or host computer and run the following commands (the second command may wrap in your display):
logman delete VMM
(This deletes any existing definitions of the trace. 'Data Collector Set was not found' errors can be safely ignored.)
logman create trace VMM -v mmddhhmm -o $env:SystemDrive\VMMlogs\VMMLog_$env:computername.ETL -cnf 01:00:00 -p Microsoft-VirtualMachineManager-Debug -nb 10 250 -bs 16 -max 512 -a
3. Start the trace by typing the following command in the elevated PowerShell window:
logman start vmm
4. Reproduce your issue.
5. As soon as you reproduce your issue, stop the trace by typing:
logman stop vmm
The ETL file can be found in C:\vmmlogs.
6. To convert the trace, type the command:
Netsh trace convert <filename>
Where <filename> is the name of the ETL file from step 5. The converted trace file will be named in the format <filename>.txt.
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151500)for other considerations.