When you use the Network Connections folder, you may
experience any of the following issues:
- When you are using the Make New Connection Wizard, only the
Dial-up to the Internet option is available.
- When you right-click a connection in the Network and
Dial-Up Connections folder, you cannot open the connection
- When you use the Make New Connection Wizard, only the
Dial-up to the Internet option and the Accept Incoming
connections option are available.
These issues may occur if any of the following conditions
- A program has installed a duplicate Rasapi32.dll file in
either the Winnt folder or the %SystemRoot% folder, or an Rasapi32.dll file is
present on the desktop.
- The Telephony service is stopped.
- The Remote Access Connection Manager service is
- The users profile is corrupted.
To resolve these issues, the methods that are described in
Rename Duplicate Rasapi32.dll Files
Windows 2000 has one Rasapi32.dll file and it is located in the
%SystemRoot%\System32 folder. To determine if you have more than one
- Click Start, and then click Find
Files and Folders.
- Type rasapi32.dll in the
Find files or folders named box, and then click Find
- Rename any Rasapi32.dll file that is not located in the
If you do not find any duplicates or if you rename the
duplicate files and the issue still occurs, perform the following procedure.
Telephony Service Using the Computer Management Snap In
- Right-click My Computer, and then click
- Click Services.
- In the right pane, right-click Telephony,
and then click Properties.
- Under Service Status, click Start, and
then click OK.
If you restart the Telephony service and this issue still
occurs, follow steps 1 to 4 to start the Remote Access Connection Manager
Edit the RegistryImportant
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
- Start Registry Editor.
- Make a backup copy of the following registry key:
- Delete the following value:
- Quit and then restart the Make New Connection Wizard. All
of the network connection options are now available.
NOTE: The Accept Incoming Calls option is dependent
on the user's assigned user rights.
- Perform steps 1 to 4 for all the users who are logged on to
To prevent this behavior from occurring with new users, modify
the default user profile:
- Use Regedt32.exe to load the Ntuser.dat hive from the
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User folder.
- Delete the following value:
- Unload the hive.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ISP Client Software Compatibility with Windows 2000
Article ID: 281625 - Last Review: January 29, 2007 - Revision: 4.3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional