When a Microsoft Outlook user connects to a mailbox on an Exchange 2000 Server computer, the user may receive the following error message:
Unable to update public free/busy data. Could not complete operation. One or more parameter values are not valid.
This issue can occur if the user's legacyExchangeDN attribute's delimiters in Active Directory are either stored in all uppercase letters or have partial uppercase letters. Examples of the delimiters in the legacyExchangeDN attribute appearing in uppercase are as follows:
All Uppercase Delimiters:/O=ORG NAME/OU=SITE NAME/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=AD USERS/CN=USERS/CN=USER NAME
Partial Uppercase Delimiters:/O=ORG NAME/OU=SITE NAME/CN=RECIPIENTS/cn=AD USERS/cn=USERS/cn=USER NAME
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods:
- Contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the Fbfix.zip file. This file contains the files that are necessary to resolve this issue programmatically. For additional information, see the Readme.txt file located in Fbfix.zip.
- Use the Adsiedit tool that is included with the Microsoft Windows 2000 Support tools to change the legacyExchangeDN attribute.
WARNING: Using Adsiedit incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require
you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems
resulting from the incorrect use of Adsiedit can be solved. Use Adsiedit at your
To use Adsiedit to change the legacyExchangeDN attribute:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Windows 2000 Support Tools, and then click ADSI Edit.
- In ADSI Edit, locate the user who is experiencing this issue (the user should be located under the domain tree), right-click the user, and then click Properties.
- Click the Attributes tab, and then click either Optional or Both to view the
properties of the attribute.
- In the Select a property to view list, click the legacyExchangeDN
- Copy the entire entry in the Value box into the Edit Attribute box.
- Change the values that follow the delimiters to lowercase letters.
For example, change
/O=ORG NAME/OU=SITE NAME/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=AD USERS/CN=USERS/CN=USER NAME
/o=ORG NAME/ou=SITE NAME/cn=RECIPIENTS/cn=AD USERS/cn=USERS/cn=USER NAME
- Click Set to set the changes to the legacyExchangeDN attribute.
- Repeat the preceding steps for the mailbox of each user who is experiencing this issue.
Article ID: 286783 - Last Review: February 27, 2007 - Revision: 2.4
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition