This article describes how to enable logging in Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011. You can use the logs to help in troubleshooting the following common issues:
- AutoDiscover issues
- Synchronization issues
- Sending and receiving issues
To enable logging in Outlook for Mac, follow these steps:
- On the Window menu, click Error Log.
- In the Error window, click the Gear icon
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- Select the Turn on logging for troubleshooting option, and then click OK.
- Reproduce the issue, and then stop the trace by deselecting the Turn on logging for troubleshooting option.
- Use the following table to determine which log file to collect.
Outlook 2011 creates a different log file and location, depending on the version of Outlook in which the log is being collected. To locate the log, see the following table.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|Outlook 2011 update||Location ||File name|
|Outlook 2011 14.0.0 - 14.2.4||Mac Desktop||MicrosoftOutlook_Troubleshooting_0.log|
|Outlook 2011 14.2.5 - Current||Mac Desktop/OfficeLogging||MicrosoftOutlook_Troubleshooting_0.csv|
It is important to turn off logging after you complete your troubleshooting and reproduce the issue. If logging is not turned off, the log files size will continue to increase.
Starting with the Outlook 2011 14.3.4 update, the size of the SyncState binary large object (BLOB) of EWS messages increased from 6 kilobytes (KB) to 32 KB and can be increased up to no more than 300 KB. To increase the default value of the SyncState binary large object of EWS messages, follow these steps:
- Exit Outlook 2011.
- Open Terminal.
- To set the SyncState binary large object of EWS messages to a specific size, type the following command in Terminal window:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook EWSMaxLogLength <max bytes>
Note The placeholder <max bytes> represents a byte value. For example, if you want to change the max byte size to 10 KB, you would type the value 10240.
- To set the SyncState binary large object of EWS messages back to the default size of 32 KB, type the following command in Terminal window:
defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Outlook EWSMaxLogLength
- Start Outlook, and then enable Outlook logging.
Article ID: 2872257 - Last Review: September 12, 2013 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011