When you try to open a Data Transformation Services
(DTS) package in the Enterprise Manager DTS Designer, you may receive the following error
Error Source: Microsoft Data
Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Error Description: Invalid class
If you try to open the package in SQL Server 2000, you may also receive the
following error message:
selected package cannot be opened. The DTS Designer has been closed.
This error message occurs when the class identifier for a
DTS task has not been registered properly with Windows. Because DTS tasks are
registered with Windows using a COM class ID (CLSID), if that identifier is not
present, a package that includes these unregistered tasks will not open. This
error may occur in the following situations (note that this is not an
- A package includes Microsoft OLAP Services or Analysis
Services tasks (such as the Data Mining Prediction task or Analysis Services
Processing task) but the workstation on which a user attempts to open the
package does not have either the OLAP or Analysis Services management tools, or
the DTS Task Kit installed.
- A package includes new SQL Server 2000 tasks (such as the
Execute Package task or the Dynamic Properties task) and a user attempts to
open that package with the SQL Server 7.0 management tools.
- A package includes a user-designed custom DTS task but the
workstation on which the package is opened does not have this task
The solution to this problem depends on the type of tasks that are present in the DTS package. Because these tasks (and their associated class IDs) must be registered with the operating system, this problem is usually alleviated by an installation of the components in question:
- If the package includes an OLAP Processing task from a SQL Server 7.0 server, you must download OLAP 7.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The DTS Task Kit (DTSTasks.exe) is included with OLAP 7.0 SP3.
- If the package includes other tasks shipped with Microsoft
SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services, you must install the Analysis Manager
component that is available during SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services
- In the case of tasks newly shipped with SQL Server 2000,
you must install the SQL Server 2000 Client Tools on the workstation in
- If your package contains custom DTS tasks, you must
register these tasks on the workstation in question.
Article ID: 288910 - Last Review: July 5, 2006 - Revision: 5.4
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Standard Edition