You can use Outlook 2002 to initiate a Mail Merge to
contacts by using the Microsoft Windows 2000 Fax Service. This article details
the following steps:
- How to configure contacts for Mail Merge to fax.
- How to set the fax cover page options.
- How to initiate the Mail Merge from Microsoft
- How to configure and complete the Mail Merge feature in
The Microsoft Windows 2000 Fax Service must be functioning
properly before using the following steps. To learn more about how to configure
the Windows 2000 Fax Service in Windows 2000, see the following articles in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Configure Windows 2000 to Send and Receive Faxes
How to Configure Outlook to Receive Windows 2000 Faxes
How to Configure Contacts for Mail Merge to Fax
The fax number for contacts must be in the canonical format (as
described in step 4 of the following steps). If you modify the Business
or Home Fax Number
fields, it can affect the way other programs work with Outlook
fax numbers. To avoid modifying the Fax
fields, use one of the four built-in user fields to store fax
numbers in the format that works for the fax merge. To do this:
- Open a contact with a Business or Home fax
- Click the All Fields tab.
- In the Select from box, click Miscellaneous Fields.
- In User Field 1 (or one of the other 3 User Fields if this field is already being
used), type the fax number exactly as it should be dialed, by using the
following canonical format examples:
Long-distance number (United States)
- Repeat steps 1-4 for all of the contacts that you want to
fax merge to.
How to the Set Fax Cover Page Options
Use the following steps to access the Fax Cover page settings:
- Select E-mail Accounts on the Tools menu.
- Click View or change existing e-mail
accounts, and then click Next.
- Click Fax Mail Transport, and then click Change.
- Make the desired changes, and then click OK.
- In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Finish.
How to Initiate the Mail Merge from Microsoft Outlook
Use the following steps to initiate the Mail Merge from Outlook:
- While in Contacts, click Mail Merge from the Tools menu. (If Mail Merge does not appear in the menu, click the chevron symbol at the
bottom of the menu to expand the menu).
- Select whether to merge using all or selected
- Select whether to merge using all of the fields or only
those in the view. (If you select to merge by using only those in the view, the
User Field that you selected to store the canonical fax numbers must appear
in the view.)
- Configure your Document and Contact data file
- In the Merge to option, click E-mail.
- Set the Message subject line option, and
then click OK.
How to Configure and Complete the Mail Merge in Word
After you initiate the Mail Merge from Outlook, use the following
steps to complete the Mail Merge in Word:
- Use the Insert Merge Fields and Insert Word Fieldsto create the Mail Merge in Word.
- When the document is ready, click the Merge to E-mail button.
- Under Message Options, set the To field to the User Field that is used to store the fax numbers, for example:
- Review other settings in this dialog box, and then click OK.
Article ID: 289532 - Last Review: October 26, 2013 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbconfig kbhowto KB289532|