This step-by-step article describes how to install
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 with Microsoft Office XP on a computer that is
running Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
When you install Office XP, by default you also install Internet
Explorer 5.01 (version 5.00.2919.6307) if an earlier version is already
installed on the computer. If you want to, you can include Microsoft Internet
Explorer 5.5 (version 5.50.4134.600) with the installation of Office XP. This
article describes how to install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP on a
computer that is running either Windows 98 or Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
How to Install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP
To install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP, follow these
- Create an administrative installation point for Office XP.
- On a computer, install Internet Explorer 5.5.
- On that same computer, start the Microsoft Office XP Custom
Installation Wizard (CIW).
- On that same computer, install Microsoft Internet Explorer
Administrative Kit 5.5 (IEAK), and then upgrade the IEAK that is already
installed. You can download IEAK 5.5 from the following Microsoft Web site:
- On the Open the MSI File page of the CIW,
locate and select OSP.msi from the \Files\OSP\1033 folder of your administrative
installation. Click Next.
- Continue through the pages of the CIW until the
Customize IE 5 Installation Options page is displayed. Click Customize.
The Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 Customization
Wizard (IEAK) starts.
- On the File Locations page of the IEAK wizard, make sure that you specify a folder in
your Office administrative installation. For example, you can use the
- On the Automatic Version Synchronization page of the IEAK Wizard, click Synchronize All.
- Follow the steps on the remaining pages of the IEAK
- When you click Finish in the IEAK wizard, the Customize IE 5 Installation
Options page of the CIW is displayed again.
- Make sure the path that is specified in the File
name and path of Internet Explorer 5 Setup box points to the folder
that you specified in the File Locations page of the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard (step 7
earlier in this article). For example, if you specified the following in the
Internet Explorer Customization Wizard File Locations page
the File name and path of Internet Explorer 5
Setup box should have the following:
- Follow the steps on the remaining pages of the
- In a text editor like Notepad, open the Setup.ini file from
your Office XP administrative installation.
- In the [SystemPackOptions] section of Setup.ini, add a line similar to the following:
NOTE: Modify this path to the transform that you
- Save your customized Setup.ini file as SetupIE55.ini, and
then close Notepad.
NOTE: You can use any name for your customized Setup.ini
- Run Setup for Office by using a command line similar to the
\\server\share\OfficeXP\Setup.exe /settings \\server\share\OfficeXP\Files\Setup\SetupIE55.ini /qb
NOTE: The /qb switch combination is not required. It is only recommended
because it prevents any customizations from being made during the Office
additional information about versions of Internet Explorer, click the article
number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Determine Which Version of Internet Explorer Is Installed
information about how to install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP on
Windows 2000, click the article number below to view the article in the
Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: How to Install Internet Explorer 5.5 with Office XP on Windows 2000
For additional information about Setup
command-line options for Office XP, click the article number below to view the
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: Setup Command-Line Switches
information about how to deploy office, click the article number below to view
the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFFXP: How to Deploy Office over a Network
For more information about how to deploy Office XP
or to obtain the Custom Installation Wizard, see the Microsoft Office XP
Resource Kit available at the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 290555 - Last Review: July 31, 2012 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit 5.5
- Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
|kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB290555|