After you upgrade to Windows XP on a Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)-based computer that belongs to a workgroup, if you redirected the My Documents folder to a network share in Windows 98 SE, the following conditions may exist in Windows XP:
- The My Documents folder may not have a My Pictures or a My Music subfolder.
- The Start menu may not display the My Pictures and My Music commands.
- Special icons for My Pictures and My Music may not be used.
- Special Web view templates for My Pictures and My Music may not be used.
This behavior can occur if Windows XP does not have the network credentials that are necessary to correctly set up the My Documents folder.
To resolve this issue, modify the settings for the affected folders:
- Click Start on the taskbar.
- Right-click an empty space on the Start menu, and then click Properties.
- On the Start Menu tab, click Start Menu.
- Click Customize, and then click the Advanced tab.
- Under each of the following Start Menu items, click Display as a link:
- My Documents
- My Music
- My Pictures
- Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Article ID: 298219 - Last Review: January 31, 2007 - Revision: 1.4
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
|kbnofix kbprb kbsetup kbui KB298219|