Article ID: 303823
When you attempt to install the Microsoft Internet Explorer High Encryption Pack, you may receive the following error message
This package requires Internet Explorer 5.01 or Windows NT 4.0 with Service
Pack 6 or higher. Installation cancelled.
and the installation process quits.
This behavior can occur if the Schannel.dll file is damaged or the version is incorrect.
To resolve this issue, download the Internet Explorer High Encryption Pack to your computer's hard disk, and then install it. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Internet Explorer, and then browse to the following Microsoft Web site:
- In the Internet Explorer High Encryption Pack list, select your browser version. To determine your browser version, click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu.
- Click Download Now.
- In the File Download dialog box, click Save this program to disk, and then click OK.
- In the Save As dialog box, click Save.
NOTE: Record the location of the saved file.
- Start a command prompt, and then change the directory to the location of the ie5xxdom.exe file that you saved. For example, C:\WINDOWS\Desktop.
- At the command prompt, type ie5xxdom.exe /c, and then press ENTER. For example, if you download High Encryption Pack for Internet Explorer 5, type ie5dom.exe /c. If you download High Encryption Pack for Internet Explorer 5.01, type ie501dom.exe /c.
- In the Microsoft Windows High Encryption Pack dialog box, type drive:\PSS in the Please type the location where you want to place the extracted files box (where drive is the drive on which you want to create the PSS folder), and then click OK. For example:
- Click Yes in response to the "The folder 'drive:\PSS' does not exist. Do you want to create it?" message that appears.
The files are extracted to the newly created PSS folder.
- Quit the command prompt.
- Start Windows Explorer.NOTE: Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the following steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.
- On the View menu, click Folder Options.
NOTE: In Windows 2000, click Folder Options on the Tools menu.
- On the View tab, click Show all files under Advanced settings, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box, click Apply, and then click OK.
- Navigate to the location of the PSS folder that you created in step 9.
- In the right pane, right-click ie5dom.inf, and then click Install on the shortcut menu. If you are prompted to insert the disk labeled High Encryption Pack, direct Setup to the drive:\PSS folder.
- Quit Windows Explorer, and then restart the computer.
- Start Internet Explorer.
- On the Help menu, click About Internet Explorer.
Note that the Cipher Strength is displayed as 128-bit.
If you install an incorrect version of High Encryption Pack, the Cipher Strength may be displayed as 0-bit. In this case, reinstall the correct version of High Encryption Pack for your version of Internet Explorer.
To download the latest version of Internet Explorer browse, to the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 303823 - Last Review: June 19, 2014 - Revision: 4.0
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.