This step-by-step article describes how to configure a connection to the Internet in Windows XP Professional. You can use the Network Connections tool in Control Panel to establish connectivity between your computer and the Internet, a network, or another computer.
Create a new dial-up connection
- To start the Network Connections tool, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, and then click Create a new connection in the left pane.
- Click Set up my connection manually, click Next, click Connect using a Dial Up modem, and then click Next.
- Type a descriptive name for the Internet service provider (ISP) that you are using in this connection, and then click Next.
- Type the phone number that was provided to you by your ISP. Note that you may need to check with your ISP about long distance or access charges. Click Next.
- Choose whether you want this connection to be shared by all users (Anyone's use) of this computer, or only for yourself (My use only).
- In the next screen, type the logon information that was provided by your ISP to access their service.
- Click Next, and then click Finish to end the setup process.
Modify an existing dial-up connection
You may need to modify some of the parameters in your dial-up connection to successfully connect to the Internet. Review the following information to make any changes:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, click the connection you want to modify, and then click Change settings of this connection.
- On the General tab, click Alternates to provide additional phone numbers in case the first one is busy or disconnected.
- On the Networking tab, make sure that the type of dial-up server you are calling to is correctly selected.
- On the Advanced tab, you can enable the Internet Connection Firewall or Windows Firewall protection to prevent access to your computer from the Internet.
Article ID: 305549 - Last Review: May 7, 2007 - Revision: 2.6
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2)
|kbfirewall kbhowtomaster KB305549|