This step-by-step article will show you how to locate, connect to, and configure a network printer. You can use the Find Printers feature to search for printers in Active Directory when you are logged on to a Windows-based domain.NOTE
: If you are connected to a workgroup rather than a domain, the Find Printers feature is not available.
Find a Printer in Active Directory
- Click Start, click Search, click Printers, Computers or People, and then click A printer on the Network. You can then use the three tabs in the Find Printers dialog box to enter different types of search criteria and fine-tune your search:
- Use the Printers tab to enter information such as the name, location, and model of the printer.
- Use the Features tab to select additional search options, such as whether the printer can print double-sided copies or print at a specific resolution.
- Use the Advanced tab to further define special features by using the custom fields to specify criteria such as whether the printer supports collation or a specific printer language.
- After you run your search, you can sort or filter the printers that are listed in the search results pane by clicking the column headings.
- To view the column headings, click Details on the View menu. The filter option is not available when you view the search results as icons or as a list.
Connect to a Printer
- Click the printer you want to which you want to connect, and then click Connect on the File menu (or, you can double-click the printer name).
- The printer is installed. If you are prompted, insert the Windows XP Setup CD-ROM in your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
Configure Printer Features
- Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
- Click the printer that you want to configure, and then click Properties on the File menu.
- On the General tab, you can set your printing preferences according to the features that are supported by your hardware, and print a test page to check the connection.
- On the Device Settings tab, you can configure advanced properties that are supported by your printer.
Article ID: 305609 - Last Review: October 27, 2002 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
|kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB305609|