This article describes how to fax a document from a Windows program by using the Fax service in Windows XP.
To send a fax in Windows XP, you must first enable and configure the Fax service.
For additional information about enabling the Fax service, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to enable and configure the Fax service in Windows XP
For additional information about using Fax in Windows, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to send a fax in Windows XP
How to receive a fax in Windows XP
How to fax a scanned document or image in Windows XP
How to fax a document from a Windows program
The following sections describe how to fax a document from a Windows program.
How to create and print the document
- Start the program that you want, for example, Microsoft Word 2002, and then create the document that you want to send by fax.
- On the File menu, click Print.
- In the Print dialog box, click Fax in the Name box.
- If you want to view the fax properties, click Properties. The Fax Preferences dialog box is displayed. Click the properties that you want, and then click OK.
- In the Print dialog box, click OK.
The Send Fax Wizard starts.
How to create and send the fax
- In the Welcome to the Send Fax Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- In the Recipient Information dialog box, type the recipient name in the To box, type the recipient fax number in the Fax number box, and then click Next.
NOTE: If you want to send the fax to more than one recipient, type the recipient information in the appropriate boxes, and then click Add. The recipient appears in the list and the boxes are cleared so that you can type additional recipient information.
When you finish adding recipients, click Next.
- In the Preparing the Cover Page dialog box, click the template that you want in the Cover page template box. If you want to edit the information that appears on the cover page, click Sender Information.
- Type the subject that you want to appear on the cover page of the fax in the Subject line box, type a cover page note in the Note box, and then click Next.
- In the Schedule dialog box, click the time that you want to send the fax, for example, click Now.
- In the What is the fax priority box, click the priority that you want (if you choose a high priority, the fax item is sent before another similarly scheduled fax with a lower priority), and then click Next.
- In the Completing the Send Fax Wizard dialog box, confirm the selections, and then click Finish.
How to view the status of the fax
You can view the status of the fax in the Fax console. To do this:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, point to Fax, and then click Fax Console.
- In the left pane, click to expand Fax (if it is not already expanded).
- The Incoming folder contains faxes that are currently being received.
- The Inbox folder contains faxes that have been received.
- The Outbox folder contains faxes that are scheduled to be sent.
- The Sent Items folder contains faxes that have been successfully sent.
- In the left pane, click the folder that you want.
- In the right pane, right-click the fax that you want, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, view the Status line. When you are finished, click Close.
Article ID: 306661 - Last Review: May 7, 2007 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
|kbfax kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB306661|