This article is intended to help you use the Video Display Troubleshooter that is included in Windows XP Help and Support Center. This article also provides a list of online support services that may help you solve your problem.
Problems that the Video Display Troubleshooter resolves
The Video Display Troubleshooter includes step-by-step instructions for troubleshooting the following display problems in Windows XP:
- You receive the following error message:
Display problems. This program can't continue.
- Your display flickers or is garbled.
- You cannot install your monitor.
- You are having a problem with the multiple-monitor feature.
- Videos or animations do not work correctly.
- You cannot set the video resolution above 640 X 480 with 16 colors.
How to start the Video Display Troubleshooter
If you are already familiar with Windows XP Help and Support Center, you can start the Video Display Troubleshooter automatically. To do so, click here
If you are not yet familiar with Windows XP Help and Support Center, follow these steps to start the Video Display Troubleshooter. These steps will help you become familiar with this feature:
- Click Start, and then click Help and Support.
- Under Pick a Help Topic, click Fixing a problem.
- In the left pane, click Games, sound, and video problems.
- In the right pane, click Display Troubleshooter.
How to use the Video Display Troubleshooter
- Click the option that describes the problem that is occurring, and then click Next.
- Repeat step 1 until your problem is resolved or you have reached the end of the troubleshooting path. You can click Back to repeat the last step. To start the Display Troubleshooter again, click Start Over.
Recommended Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
For additional information about troubleshooting display issues in Windows XP, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to troubleshoot the display adapter driver in Safe mode
Hardware requirements for multiple-display support in Windows XP
Description of DualView in Windows XP
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Services Web site to find a solution
If you cannot resolve the problem by using the Video Display Troubleshooter or by viewing the recommended Knowledge Base articles, you can use the Microsoft Product Support Services Web site to find a solution to your problem. The Microsoft Product Support Services Web site provides the following services:
Article ID: 307960 - Last Review: December 1, 2007 - Revision: 7.6
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
|kbenv kbdisplay kbinfo kbtshoot KB307960|