When you attempt to connect to a Remote Access Service (RAS) server by using the TCP/IP protocol, you may receive the following error message:
Error 720: No PPP control protocols configured.
This behavior can occur if your computer and the RAS server do not have a protocol in common, or if RAS is not configured correctly.
To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
- Find out which protocols the RAS server is running, and make sure that the RAS service is installed and configured properly (or ask the Network Administrator to do this).
- After you find out which protocols the RAS server is running, make sure that your Windows XP-based computer is running one of the same protocols that the RAS server is running:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
- Under Virtual Private Network, right-click the VPN connection, and then click Properties.
- In the VPN Connection Properties dialog box, click the Networking tab, and make sure that you have a protocol that the RAS server is running.
- If you do not have a protocol that the RAS server is running, add the needed protocol:
- Click Install, click Protocol, and then click Add.
- Click the protocol that you need to install, and then click OK.
- Click Close in the VPN Connection Properties dialog box.
Article ID: 314869 - Last Review: January 22, 2002 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional