If you use the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe) to export mailboxes to a personal folder (.pst) file or import mailboxes from a .pst file, the operation is unsuccessful, and the following error message appears in the Exmerge.log file:
Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange
Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)
To troubleshoot this issue, follow these steps:
- Verify that the user account under which you run the Exchange Mailbox Merge program has the Receive As and Send As security permissions set to Allow for the Mailbox Store. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Exchange System Manager. To do this, click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft Exchange, and then click System Manager.
- Expand Servers, expand the server that you want, expand the storage group that you want (for example, expand First Storage Group), and then expand Mailbox Store.
- Right-click Mailbox Store, and then click Properties.
- Click the Security tab, and then click the user account whose permissions you want to verify.
- In the Permissions list, click to select the Receive As check box in the Allow column, click to select the Send As check box in the Allow column, and then click OK.
- If the user account is a member of a group (domain administrators or enterprise administrators), this group must also have send as and receive as rights to the mailbox store.
- Verify that the user account under which you run the Exchange Mailbox Merge program has delegation authority at the Organization level in Exchange System Manager. To do this, follow these steps:
- In Exchange System Manager, right-click the organization (for example, right-click First Organization (Exchange)), and then click Delegate control. The Exchange Administration Delegation Wizard starts.
- Click Next.
- If the user account under which you run the Exchange Mailbox Merge program is not listed in the Users and groups box, and if it does not have the role of Exchange Full Administrator, click Next, add this user account with the role of Exchange Full Administrator, and then click OK.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
- Quit Exchange System Manager.
- Restart the Microsoft Internet Information Service (IIS) Admin Service. To do this, follow these steps.
NOTE: This restarts the Exchange Information Store service.
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
- In the Name list, right-click IIS Admin Service, and then click Restart.
- Click Yes to confirm the restarting of the services.
- Quit the Services snap-in.
For additional information, click the article numbers below
to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
XADM: Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Merge Program (Exmerge.exe) Information
XADM: Some Questions and Answers About the Exmerge Utility
HOW TO: Migrate from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server
How to configure the administrator account to use Exmerge 2003 in Exchange 2003
Article ID: 322312 - Last Review: October 25, 2007 - Revision: 2.5
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition