You can use the Internet Information Services (IIS) Migration Wizard to easily migrate site content and settings from an existing Apache server to IIS. This article describes how to use the IIS Migration Wizard to migrate data from Apache to IIS.
Downloading and Extracting IIS Migration Wizard Files
To download and extract IIS Migration Wizard files:
- Download the IIS Migration Wizard Setup file from the Microsoft Download Center. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- Click Save this program to disk, select a location on your computer, and then click Save.
- In Windows Explorer, locate the Iismigrationwizard_setup.exe file that you just downloaded, and then double-click the file to start the file extraction process.
: The Iismigrationwizard_setup.exe file is a self-extracting executable (.exe) file. If you run the file, you put installation packages and documentation on your computer. Each of these packages requires additional installation, as described in the tool documentation.
Installing the UNIX Source Component
To install the UNIX component for computers by using Apache, follow these steps.NOTE
: Before you start the installation, you must have Perl installed.
- Log on to the source computer as a root.
- Open the folder in which you extracted the IIS Migration Wizard files, and then use file transfer protocol (FTP) to transfer the IISv5MigrationUtility-ApacheSource.tar file to a temporary folder on the source computer.
- On the command line (either locally or from telnet), type the following command:
tar -x < iisv5migrationutility-apachesource.tar
- In the temporary folder in which you extracted the .tar file, type the following command:
- Follow the instructions that appear on your screen to select the configuration file and to turn on the source service.
Installing the Windows Component
To install the target component from the source computer:
- Make sure that the source component is installed on the source computer and that the source Web server is running.
- Log on to the target computer as an administrator.
- Connect to the following location, where source is either the computer name or the Internet Protocol (IP) address of the source computer:
- After the IIS Migration Wizard starts, click Next.
- Click the link to the x86-based target platform.
- Click either Open or Save this file.
If you click Open, the installer runs directly from the Web site. If you click Save this file, you have to find, and then open the file to start the installer.
- When the installation of the target component is complete, return to Internet Explorer and the IIS Migration Wizard.
- Click Next to start a migration or click Cancel to close the wizard.
Running the IIS Migration Wizard
After you install the source component and the target component, you can start the migration process. NOTE
: Before you start the migration process, you must have the default Web site configured and running.
To run the IIS Migration Wizard:
- Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Microsoft IIS v.5 Migration Wizard.
- After the IIS Migration Wizard starts from the source host, click Next.
- After the IIS Migration Wizard confirms that the IIS Migration Wizard has already been installed on your computer, click Next.
- Click the option that indicates that you have already installed the source software on your source host, type the address of the source host in the Computer box, and then click Next.
- Type the password that you specified when you installed the host component, and then click Next.
- Enter the root program folder for Apache, and then type the name of the folder that contains the configuration files in the Server Mask box (typically, the configuration files are in the Conf folder).
- When you are prompted, select the server content, the settings, and the MIME information that you migrate for each virtual server, and then click Next to start the migration process.
The migration process takes between a few minutes to over an hour depending on the size of the Web site that you are migrating. When the migration is complete, the wizard displays a list of warnings and any additional steps that you must do to complete the migration.
- To save the activity log or the migration archive file that contains migrated content and settings, click the appropriate link at the bottom of the wizard page.
- Click Finish.
For additional information about preparing to migrate data in a UNIX-to-Windows migration, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
HOW TO: Migrate Web Site Data in a UNIX-to-Windows Migration
Article ID: 324063 - Last Review: November 21, 2006 - Revision: 4.4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Internet Information Services 5.0
|kbdownload kbhowto kbhowtomaster KB324063|