When you try to start Word, you may receive the following
Microsoft Word has encountered a problem
and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If the error
message is still displayed and you want to see the data that the error report
contains, click the click here
link at the bottom of the
message box. Error signature information appears that may be similar to the
App Name App Version Module Name Module Version
winword.exe 188.8.131.5222 mso9.dll 184.108.40.20621
This behavior may occur if either of the following
conditions is true:
- Word is installed on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer,
and Word is set up to use compatibility options for an earlier Windows
- The default template Normal.dot is corrupted or
To resolve this problem, use one of the following methods,
as appropriate for your situation:
Method 1: Remove the Compatibility Mode Setting for Word
To fix this problem use the following steps:
- Locate and then open the following folder, where
drive is the drive on which Word is installed:
- The default location is program files but the Word program may be installed in a different location on your computer. If this is the case, navigate to the location where the Word program files are installed.
- Right-click Winword.exe, and then click Properties.
- Click the Compatibility tab, click to clear all the check boxes, and then click OK.
Method 2: Create a New Normal.dot File
Follow these steps to temporarily rename the Normal.dot template
to determine if it is the cause of the problem:
- Close all programs.
- Click Start, and then click Search.
- Click All files and folders.
- In the All or part of the file name box,
- In the Look In box, click My Computer.
- Click Search Now.
- For each instance of Normal.dot, right-click the file,
click Rename, and then type OldNormal.dot.
- Close Search Results, and then start Word.
If Word starts without the error message, the cause of the
problem was a corrupted Normal.dot. When Word starts, Word creates a new
Normal.dot to replace the renamed file. If you customized your old Normal.dot,
you must re-do all the modifications to restore your favorite options.
Article ID: 326510 - Last Review: September 26, 2011 - Revision: 4.0
|kbstartprogram kbtemplate kbnewfile kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb kbmsifixme kbfixme KB326510|