Article ID: 555032 - View products that this article applies to.
How to remove Windows Recovery Console
After installing Windows Recovery Console there may be time that you may need to remove Recovery Console due server upgrade, disk maintance etc.
Please follow these instruction to accomplish this task:
1. Log on as local administrator.
2. Double click on "My Computer" icon on the desktop.
3. In "My Computer" open: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Mark the checkbox
"Show hidden files and folders" -and clear the "Hide protected operating system
files" checkbox (please press on "Yes" to the confirm message).
4. Double click on the %systemdrive% (usually "C" drive) and delete "cmdcons" folder and the cmldr file from
the root drive.
5. Right-click boot.ini on the system partition and select Properties, then clear the "Read-only" checkbox.
6. Double click on the "boot.ini" file (the file reside in the root of the %systemdrive%).
7. Remove the line C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
8. Save the boot.ini file and close the text editor.
* This procedure is not supported on 64 Bit version of 2000/2003/XP.
Article ID: 555032 - Last Review: December 16, 2003 - Revision: 1.0
COMMUNITY SOLUTIONS CONTENT DISCLAIMER
MICROSOFT CORPORATION AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, OR ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION AND RELATED GRAPHICS CONTAINED HEREIN. ALL SUCH INFORMATION AND RELATED GRAPHICS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION AND RELATED GRAPHICS, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WORKMANLIKE EFFORT, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. YOU SPECIFICALLY AGREE THAT IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE INFORMATION AND RELATED GRAPHICS CONTAINED HEREIN, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES.