The usual chart series for an XY Scatter Chart has a range of Y values that is mapped to a range of X categories. If there are more than two series, the chart has multiple Y ranges that are mapped to a single range of X values.
To create a Scatter chart that has one range of Y values mapped to multiple ranges of X categories, follow these steps:
- Make sure that the single range of cells that you use for Y values is after the cells for your X categories (to the right, if your values are in columns; below, if your values are in rows).
- Press COMMAND+Select (on the Macintosh) or press CTRL (on a Windows-based computer) if the areas are not contiguous, and select one X range and the Y range.
- On the Insert menu, click Chart. In the Chart Wizard, click XY (Scatter) under Chart type, and then click a chart sub-type. Click Finish.
- Select the second X range and the same Y range. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
- Click the chart. On the Edit menu, click Paste Special.
- Under Add cells as, click New series. Under Values (Y) in, click Rows or Columns (as appropriate to your data). Click to select the Categories (X values) in First Column or Categories (X values) in First Row check box, depending on your previous selection, and then click OK.
- Repeat steps 4 through 6 for each additional series.
Article ID: 77188 - Last Review: October 6, 2011 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac
- Microsoft Excel X for Mac
- Microsoft Excel 2001 for Mac
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
- Microsoft Excel 5.0 for Macintosh