When you run a Microsoft Visual Basic application that loads
control, you may receive the following error message:
Run-time error 372:
Failed to load control
'ImageList' from mscomctl.ocx. Your version of mscomctl.ocx may be outdated.
Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with
This problem occurs if the ImageList
control includes icons that have more colors than the color depth
of the Windows desktop can support.
To resolve this problem, do one of the following things:
- Edit the icons to use a lower color depth (use 8-bit color
instead of 16-bit, 24-bit, or 32-bit), and then recompile the Visual Basic
application by using the lower color depth.
- Increase the color depth on the computer that the
application is running on. To change the color depth, follow these steps:
- On the Windows desktop, right-click
- Click the Settings tab.
- Under Color Quality, click to select a
higher number of display colors.
- Click Apply, and then click
The maximum color depth of some video cards is limited to 8-bits
or 256 colors. In this case, you must recompile the application at the lower
behavior is by design.
Article ID: 818616 - Last Review: April 28, 2003 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition