Background Intelligent Transfer Service in Windows Server 2003 white paper

Article translations Article translations
Article ID: 818746 - View products that this article applies to.
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
Expand all | Collapse all

On This Page

SUMMARY

The "Background Intelligent Transfer Service in Windows Server 2003" white paper is an introduction to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). The white paper is for IT professionals who are interested in using BITS from within a software application.

BITS transfers files by using leftover bandwidth. For example, if you are currently using 60 percent of your bandwidth, BITS will only use the remaining 40 percent. BITS also maintains file transfers when a network disconnection occurs or a computer must be restarted. When the network connection is reestablished, BITS will continue from the point it was disrupted.

Note BITS version 1.0 is included with Microsoft Windows XP and only supports downloads. BITS version 1.5 is included with Windows Server 2003 and supports both downloads and uploads. Uploads require Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) server with the BITS server extension installed.

To view this white paper, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/bits.mspx

Topics That Are Included in This White Paper

  • Why BITS?
  • Lifecycle of a BITS Job
  • Users and Network Connections
  • Service Accounts and BITS
  • Job Status
  • File Availability
  • BITS Server
  • Comparing BITS to Other Internet Data Transfer Technologies
  • Tools and Samples
  • Frequently Asked Questions

Properties

Article ID: 818746 - Last Review: February 27, 2014 - Revision: 7.4
APPLIES TO
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Premium Edition
  • Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 Standard Edition
Keywords: 
kbnosurvey kbarchive KB818746

Contact us for more help

Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.
Get more support from smallbusiness.support.microsoft.com