This article describes how to install the PC DOS 2000 guest
operating system that is included with Virtual PC. When
you install Virtual PC, PC DOS 2000 is not automatically installed. It is
located in the PC DOS folder on the Virtual PC CD-ROM.
Note If you downloaded the Virtual PC installer file, the PC DOS
folder is extracted when you run the installation program. The trial version of
Virtual PC does not include PC DOS 2000.
The PC DOS folder contains the PC DOS 2000 floppy boot disk
image (PC DOS Boot Disk.vfd) and the PC DOS 2000 virtual hard disk image (PC
DOS 2000.vhd). To create a new PC DOS 2000 guest operating system:
- Copy the PC DOS 2000.vhd file from the PC DOS folder on the
CD-ROM or from the folder where you extracted the Virtual PC program files to a
folder on your computer.
default, the file is located in the C:\Program Files\Connectix\Virtual PC 5.0 Online Installer folder in Virtual PC 5.0.
- Start Virtual PC, and then click New
- Click Next, type a descriptive name for
the new virtual PC, and then click Next.
- Make sure that Guide me is selected, and
then click Next.
- In the Which operating system do you intend to run
on this PC list, click DOS, and then click
- If you want to adjust the memory that is allocated to the virtual
PC, click Yes, and then enter the amount of RAM that you
- Click Next.
- Click Next to select an existing hard disk
- Click Browse, click the PC DOS 2000.vhd
file that you copied to the computer, and then click
- If you want to enable "undo" support for this new guest
operating system, click to select the Enable undo support
- Click Next, and then click
- In the Virtual PC window, click the new
virtual PC, and then click Start Up.
third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies
that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 824961 - Last Review: January 30, 2004 - Revision: 2.0
- Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 5.0
- Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 4.3
- Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 4.2
- Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 4.1
- Connectix Virtual PC for Windows 4.0
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.