When you try to delete an e-mail message from your Inbox in Microsoft Outlook 2000, the e-mail message is not deleted. Additionally, you may not receive an error message or any other notification as to the cause of this behavior.
This behavior may occur if the e-mail message that you are trying to delete is corrupted.
To resolve this behavior, use the Mdbvu32.exe utility to identify and to delete corrupted e-mail messages. The Mdbvu32.exe utility is an Extended MAPI message store viewer.
To manually remove corrupted e-mail messages by using the Mdbvu32.exe utility, follow these steps:
- Insert the Microsoft Exchange 5.5 Server CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive.
- Start Microsoft Windows Explorer, and then open the drive:\Server\Support\Utils\I386 folder, where drive is the CD-ROM drive or the DVD-ROM drive that contains the Exchange 5.5 Server CD-ROM.
- Copy the following files to the computer where you have Outlook 2000 installed:
- Verify the following information:
- That a profile exists for the user's mailbox.
- If that profile is selected as the default profile.
- That a user with the required permissions to the mailbox is successfully logged on to the client workstation.
- Verify that Outlook 2000 is not currently running on your workstation.
- Double-click Mdbvu32.exe to start the MDB Viewer Test Application.
- In the MAPILogonEX (MAPI_LOGON_UI) dialog box, click OK.
- Click the appropriate profile in the Profile Name box, and then click OK.
- On the MDB menu, click OpenMessageStore.
- Click the appropriate mailbox, and then click Open.
- On the MDB menu, click Open Root Folder. After the Open Root Folder dialog box opens, follows these steps to delete the corrupted e-mail messages.
- In the Child Folders box, double-click Search Root.
- In the child folders pane of the MAPI_FOLDER – Top of Personal folders dialog box, double-click Inbox. The properties for the Inbox folder appear.
- Locate the messages in folder pane in the MAPI_FOLDER - Inbox dialog box, and verify that the text that is in the Subject box of the e-mail message is not deleted or is not corrupted.
- Select the e-mail messages that are corrupted in the messages in folder pane of the MAPI_FOLDER - Inbox dialog box.
- In the MAPI_FOLDER - Inbox dialog box, click lpFldDeleteMessages() in the Operations available list, and then click Call Function.
- In the MAPI_FOLDER – Inbox DeleteMessages() dialog box, click OK.
Repeat step a through step f for each e-mail message that you want to delete.
- To quit the Mdbvu32 utility, click Close in all the dialog boxes until the MDB Viewer Test Application window appears.
- Click Store Logoff on the MDB menu in the MDB Viewer Test Application window.
- In the LpMDB StoreLogoff() dialog box, click OK.
- In the LOGOFF_COMPLETE dialog box, click OK.
- Close the MDB Viewer Test Application window.
Article ID: 832562 - Last Review: September 20, 2011 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition