This article describes how to install Virtual Machine Additions
on a virtual machine in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004.
Virtual Machine Additions provides features that integrate a
virtual machine with the physical computer. Virtual Machine Additions includes the following
- Drag-and-drop functionality
- Folder sharing
- Integrated mouse support
- DOS CD-ROM support
- Optimized video driver support
- Time synchronization
- Clipboard sharing
- Improved operating system performance
To use these features, you must install Virtual Machine Additions on
the virtual machine after you install the operating system on the virtual
machine. Virtual Machine Additions is available for the following operating
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 6 or
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22
- IBM OS/2 Warp 4 Fixpack 15, OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 1,
and OS/2 Warp Convenience Pack 2
To install Virtual Machine Additions for a Windows operating
system, follow these steps:
- Open the Virtual PC Console.
- In the list of virtual machines, double-click the virtual
machine that you want to install Virtual Machine Additions on.
- In the virtual machine window, log on to the guest
Note For virtual machines that use Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, you must log on as
administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to install Virtual
- On the Action menu of the virtual machine,
click Install or Update Virtual Machine Additions.
cannot move the mouse pointer to the Action menu, press the
ALT key to the right of the spacebar to release the mouse pointer from the virtual machine window.
By default, the
ALT key to the right of the spacebar is the host key.
- In the confirmation dialog box, read the information, and
then click Continue.
- When the Virtual Machine Additions InstallShield
Wizard window appears, click Next.
- When the wizard has completed the installation, click
- Click Yes to restart the
For more information about Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, visit the
following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 833139 - Last Review: September 10, 2011 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Virtual PC 2004