When you use a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition to access the Windows Update Web site, you may receive a 0x80070485 initialization error message while the page loads.
This problem occurs because the Cabinet.dll file may be damaged or missing.
To resolve this problem you must reinstall the Windows Installer. To do so, follow the steps for your operating system.
Windows Millennium Edition
- Insert your Windows Millennium Edition startup disk in your floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.
For additional information about how to make a Windows Millennium Edition startup disk, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to create a startup disk in Windows Me
- At the Windows Millennium Edition Startup menu, select Minimal Boot.
- At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
c: cd \Windows\System
- Remove the Millennium Edition startup disk from your floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.
Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
- Download the Instmsiw.exe file. To do so, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Make a note of the folder where you download this file.
- Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
- Click Restart in MS-DOS mode, and then click OK.
- At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
- Rename the following files by using the .old extension:
To rename the files, type the following syntax, and then press ENTER:
ren file_name.file_extension file_name.old
- To start Windows, type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
- In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, on the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the following check boxes:
Note One or more of these check boxes may not be available, depending on the files that are on your computer.
- Process Config.sys file
- Process Autoexec.bat file
- Process Winstart.bat file
- Process System.ini file
- Process Win.ini file
- Load startup group items
- Click OK, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart your computer.
- Locate the folder where you downloaded the Instmsiw.exe.
- Double-click Instmsiw.exe, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Article ID: 836923 - Last Review: April 12, 2005 - Revision: 2.10
- Microsoft Windows Update, when used with:
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
|kbwindowsupdate kbprb KB836923|Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.