When you have more than eight categories that are defined for advertised programs in a Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 (SMS 2003) environment, the SMS 2003 Advanced Client may display only the first eight categories in the Category
list. The Category
list is located in Run Advertised Programs
in Control Panel.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
30-Apr-2004 18:09 13,134 Filemap.ini
20-Feb-2004 15:03 220.127.116.11 355,242 Smsupdate.exe
25-Dec-2003 07:25 232,960 Sms2003ac-kb837423-x86-enu.msp
25-Dec-2003 07:25 2.50.2726.117 75,264 Swd_res.dll
Because of file dependencies, the most recent hotfix that contains these files may also contain additional files.
To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- In Control Panel, click Run Advertised Programs, and then click Categories.
- Scroll through the All available programs list by using the arrow keys on the keyboard. Alternatively, click to select the last program in the list, and then click the drop-down arrow. The next eight categories will be displayed.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Hotfix installation instructions
You must apply this hotfix to all Advanced Client computers in your SMS 2003 hierarchy. Depending upon your SMS hierarchy configuration, you may want to complete these steps on primary site servers and on secondary site servers to make sure that the hotfix is distributed to all Advanced Client computers. To apply this hotfix, follow these steps:
- Create a shared folder in a location that is accessible to your SMS site
- Copy the SMS2003-RTM-KB837423-X86-ENU.exe update file to the new
- Use an account that has administrative credentials to log on to the site server.
- Quit the SMS Administrator Console if it is running.
- Double-click the SMS2003-RTM-KB837423-X86-ENU.exe update file, and then
follow the instructions in the installation wizard.
- When prompted by the installation wizard, click Yes, I want to
create a package and program now. Make sure to review the Applying
hotfixes to SMS Advanced Clients information that appears later in the installation
- Start the SMS Administrator Console.
- Expand Site Hierarchy\your site\Site Settings\Client Agents, where your site is the name of your SMS site.
- Right-click Software Inventory Client Agent, and then click
- Make sure that the Enable software inventory on clients option is turned on.
- On the Inventory Collection tab, click the add button. (This button has a yellow asterisk next to it.)
- In the Name text box, type swd_res.dll, click OK, and then click OK again.
- Wait a minimum of two days for software inventory to be completed on
all Advanced Client computers. How long you wait depends on the interval for a particular site.
Important You must wait for the software inventory cycle to
be completed before you continue to the next step.
- After software inventory is completed on all clients, start the SMS Administrator Console, right-click
the Collection node, point to New,
and then click Collection.
- Type a descriptive name for the collection. For example, type Advanced Clients that
- Click the Membership Rules tab, and then click the yellow database button to
open Query Rule Properties.
- Type a name for the query, click Edit Query Statement, and then click Show Query Language.
- Delete the existing query statement, and then paste the following query in the Query statement field:
SMS_R_System inner join
SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM on SMS_G_System_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId inner join
SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile on SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileName = "swd_res.dll" and SMS_G_System_SoftwareFile.FileVersion < "2.50.2726.0117"
- Click OK three times.
- In the SMS Administrator Console, right-click the Advertisements
node, point to New, and then click Advertisement.
- In the Name field, type a descriptive name for the advertisement.
- In the Package list, click KB837423 - Advanced Client Hotfix.
- In the Program list, click KB 837423 - Advanced Client Patch
- Click Browse, click the collection that you created in step 14,
and then click OK two times.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 837423 - Last Review: October 25, 2006 - Revision: 1.7
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbsmstopazfix kbfix kbbug KB837423|