This article explains how to remove an existing watermark from a
document. In Microsoft Word for Windows 2.0, you can add a watermark to a
document by using the Watermark macro that was included with the
If you attempt to replace a watermark by rerunning the macro without
first deleting the original watermark, the result is two watermarks on
top of each other. Rerunning the macro can also create a soft page
break in the middle of the page; however, this page break does not
occur when you print the document.
Note: The Watermark macro must be used with a PostScript printer or a
laser-compatible printer with a PostScript cartridge option.
Word version 6.0, 7.0, 97
To remove a Watermark from a Word 6.0 document:
- From the View Menu, choose Normal.
- From the Tools menu, choose Options and select the View tab.
- Select the Field Codes check box. Choose Ok.
- From the View menu, select Header and Footer.
- From the Header pane, delete the watermark information and choose the
Word version 2.x
To remove a watermark from a document, use the following steps:
- From the View menu, Choose Normal.
- From the View menu, choose Field Codes if there is no check mark
beside the Field Codes command. If Field Codes is already chosen,
- From the View menu, choose Header/Footer. Select Header and choose
the OK button.
- Delete the watermark information in the header and choose the Close
- From the Tools menu, choose Repaginate Now.
Now you can create another watermark.
To remove the Watermark macro from a template, use the following
- From the Tools menu, choose Macro.
- Select the Watermark macro. (You may need to choose the Global
Macros option button to view the macro.)
- Choose the Delete button.
"Microsoft Word for Windows User's Guide," version 2.0, pages 447,
572-574, 753-754, and 766-767
Article ID: 87089 - Last Review: November 16, 2006 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Word 2.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2.0a
- Microsoft Word for Windows 2.0b
- Microsoft Word 2.0c
- Microsoft Word 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 6.0a
- Microsoft Word 6.0c
- Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 95a
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.