Article ID: 874482 - View products that this article applies to.
This article has been archived. It is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.
This article describes how to setup a Magellan 8200 Scanner/Scale in Store Operations.
Follow the instructions listed below to install the OPOS driver and properly configure the scanner/scale device:
1. Download the Magellan OPOS drivers. The file is named OPOS Drivers v1.3.1; and is available at
2. Unzip the contents of file SU-OPOS.zip into a temporary folder.
Note If you do not have WinZip installed on your computer, you can download an evaluation version at:
3. Double-click on Setup.exe from the new folder created in step 2.
4. Click Next.
5. Click Yes to accept the Software License Agreement.
6. Click Next after you choose the Destination Location.
7. Click All Components and then click Next.
8. Click Yes if you get either of the warning messages described below:
a. "The system currently has a Scale Control Object Installed. Overwriting this with the PSC version may cause problems with existing applications. Do you wish to install the PSC Scale Control Object (not recommended)?"
b. "The system currently has a Scanner Control Object Installed. Overwriting this with the PSC version may cause problems with existing applications. Do you wish to install the PSC Scanner Control Object (not recommended)?"
9. Click Next after you select a program folder.
10. Click Next to start copying files.
11. Click Finish to complete the setup.
12. Attach the scanner and scale to the COM ports.
13. Click Start, point to Programs, point to PSC, Inc., and then click OPOS Configuration Utility.
14. For the scanner, click to select Magellan from the drop-down, and then set the Port to the COM port where you attached the scanner cable.
15. Click Scale Settings.
16. For the scale, click to select Magellan from the drop-down, and then set the Port to the COM port where you attached the scale cable.
17. Click Save Changes to save the scale settings.
18. Click Save Changes again to save the scanner settings.
19. Click Start, point to Programs, point to PSC, Inc., and then click OPOS Installation Test Utility.
20. Click Test Scanner.
21. Click Magellan for the Scanner Type.
22. Click Test Scanner.
23. Scan an item. The code will show in Data:.
Note If the item does not scan correctly, you may need to modify the settings in the OPOS Configuration Utility (starting on step 5). First, you may want to finish all steps and try scanning an item in POS.
24. Click Close Scanner.
25. Click Done.
26. Click Test Scale.
27. Click Magellan for the Scale type.
28. Click Test Scale.
29. Place an item on the scale.
30. Click Get Weight. The weight should show in Weight:.
Note If the item is not weighed correctly, you may need to modify the settings in the OPOS Configuration Utility (starting on step 5). First, you may want to finish all steps and try weighing an item in POS.
31. Click Close Scale.
32. Click Done.
33. Close the OPOS Installation Tester by clicking the X button in the upper right-hand corner.
34. Start Store Operations Manager.
35. To edit the Register properties, click Database, point to Registers, click Register List, select your register, and then click Properties.
36. Click the Scanner tab.
37. Enable the scanner by clicking to select Scanner is enabled for this register.
38. For the OPOS device name, enter Magellan.
39. Click the Scale tab.
40. Enable the scale by clicking the select Scale is enabled for this register.
41. For the OPOS device name, enter Magellan.
42. For Time Out, enter 9999.
43. Click OK to save your changes.
44. Re-start Store Operations POS.
Note Your scanner and scale will work even though you may get one or more of the error messages listed below. If you receive one of these messages, click Yes to continue.
Warning 923: A failure was detected on the scale OPOS device. Do you wish to continue?
Warning 925: A scanner OPOS communication failure occurred. Do you wish to continue?
Warning 927: A scanner OPOS communication failure occurred. Do you wish to continue?
45. Scan a weighed item to make sure that it scans correctly and asks you to place the item on the scale to be weighed.
Note In version 1.2, the POS application does not prompt you to place an item on the scale. The error shown below will occur after 9999 seconds if an object is not placed on the scale.
Hardware Failure 702: The scale communication timed out.
This article was TechKnowledge Document ID: 32542
Contact us for more help