You cannot change desktop themes, and you cannot select the Windows XP theme on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer.
This problem occurs when the Themes service is stopped.
To resolve this problem, start the Themes service. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
- In the list of services, right-click Themes, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type list.
- On the General tab, click Start under Service status, and then click OK.
- Exit Services.
This behavior is by design.
Article ID: 883391 - Last Review: November 10, 2004 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005