Microsoft has released the Microsoft Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Word 2002. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- Issues that are fixed in the hotfix package
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that are contained in the hotfix package
This article describes the Microsoft Word 2002 issues that are fixed in the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated September 10, 2004.
Issues that are fixed in the hotfix package
The following issues are fixed in this hotfix package but were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you press ENTER in a numbered list to create a new numbered item in a Word 2002 document, the text in the new numbered item is marked with tracked changes as inserted text. However, if the new numbered item is deleted, the text that is marked with tracked changes is not marked as deleted text.
- If you open a text document that contains End User-Defined Characters (EUDC), such as Traditional Chinese characters, and then try to change the font of the text, the font is not changed.
- When you programmatically loop through references to the ProofreadingError objects from a document range in Word 2002, memory usage will increase every time that you run the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For additional information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0 or a later version.
For additional information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix with Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, Microsoft has not tested this fix on Office XP SP2 to the same extent as on Office XP Service Pack 3. If you install this hotfix on a computer with Office XP SP2 installed, some file conflicts might occur. Microsoft supports this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: September 13, 2004
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that are contained in this package.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that you must have to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
10-Sep-2004 08:19 8,315,392 Winwordff.msp (Full-File/Administrative)
10-Sep-2004 07:20 2,959,872 Winwordop.msp (Optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this fix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Version Size File name
27-Aug-2004 02:52 10.0.6729.0 10,627,784 Winword.exe
For more information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For additional information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 883928 - Last Review: April 7, 2006 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbnumbering kbformat kbprogramming kbfix kbhotfixrollup kbofficexppostsp3fix KB883928|