Microsoft has released the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Excel 2002. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- Issue that is fixed by the hotfix package
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that are contained in the hotfix package
This article describes the Microsoft Excel 2002 issue that is fixed in the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated August 30, 2004.
Issue that is fixed by the hotfix package
The following issue is fixed in this hotfix package. It was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you run a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro command to display the Templates dialog box to create a new file, Excel displays the New Workbook task pane instead. For example, a macro command may be Application.Dialogs(xlDialogNew). The macro does not pause in time for you to select a file or a template to open. Therefore, the macro does not capture your selection.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For additional information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0 or a later version.
For additional information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix with Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, Microsoft has not tested this fix on Office XP SP2 to the same extent as on Office XP Service Pack 3. If you install this hotfix on a computer with Office XP SP2 installed, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Excel 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: September 20, 2004
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that are contained in this package.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that you must have to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
30-Aug-2004 17:51 16,576,284 Excelff.msp (full-file/administrative)
30-Aug-2004 14:55 5,023,124 Excelop.msp (optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this fix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Version Size File name
27-Aug-2004 02:52 10.0.6729.0 9,190,080 Excel.exe
For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For additional information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 885236 - Last Review: October 27, 2013 - Revision: 3.3
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbofficexppostsp3fix kbhotfixrollup kbfix kbprogramming kbautomation KB885236|