Microsoft has released the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Word 2002. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- The issues that the hotfix package fixes
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Word 2002 issue that is fixed in the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated September 13, 2004.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- On a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer, if you double-click a Word document that uses Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) that is located in a Web folder, you receive the following error message:
If you open the document as read-only, the file may be deleted when you close the document.
File in use. filename.doc is locked for editing by 'another user'.
Do you want to:
* Open a Read Only copy
* Create a local copy and merge your changes later
Receive notification when the original copy is available
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For additional information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or a later version.
For additional information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, we have tested this fix on Office XP SP3 more extensively than we have on Office XP SP2. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP SP2, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: September 27, 2004
You do not have to create or to modify any registry keys to use the hotfix that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
13-Sep-2004 07:54 8,313,344 Winwordff.msp (full-file/administrative)
13-Sep-2004 06:43 2,985,472 Winwordop.msp (optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Version Size File name
10-Sep-2004 20:11 10.0.6731.0 10,627,784 Winword.exe
For additional information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For additional information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when it corrects software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 885840 - Last Review: April 7, 2006 - Revision: 2.2
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbopenfile kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup kbofficexppostsp3fix KB885840|