When you update your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer to Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), some pre-SP1 hotfixes that were installed on your computer may not successfully migrate from the release version of Windows XP to Windows XP SP1.Notes
- When you install a Windows XP pre-SP1 hotfix on a Windows XP-based computer, an SP1 version of that hotfix is also copied to the computer for use when you update the computer to Windows XP SP1. When you update the computer to Windows XP SP1, the SP1 version of the hotfix is automatically installed.
For additional information about this automatic process, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of dual-mode update packages for Windows XP
- To verify whether a hotfix migrated to the Windows XP SP1 level, review the Xpsp1hfm.log file in your Windows folder.
- This problem does not occur when you update to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) in either of the following cases:
- You update from the release version of Windows XP without hotfixes installed.
- You update from Windows XP SP1 with pre-Windows XP SP2 hotfixes installed.
- After you update your computer to Windows XP SP1, some pre-SP1 hotfixes cannot be installed. You may receive the following error message:
This error message is listed in the log file for the update, such as KBxxxxxx.log. The Windows Installer program also returns an extended error code 0xf0f1.
Setup encountered an error: Files from the package are incompatible with files on your system.
This problem is caused by the Branches.inf file. The Branches.inf file helps the Windows Installer program identify which version of a specific hotfix to install.
This problem occurs if the following hotfixes are installed:
MS04-037: Vulnerability in Windows shell could allow remote code execution
MS04-032: Security update for Microsoft Windows
MS04-030: Vulnerability in WebDAV XML message handler could lead to a denial of service
To resolve this problem, when you update your Windows XP-based computer, use one of the following methods:
- Update your Windows XP-based computer to Windows XP SP2.
For additional information about how to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack
- Install Critical Update for Windows XP (KB887822). To do this, visit one of the following Microsoft Web sites:
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 887822 - Last Review: March 31, 2011 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
|atdownload kbqfe kbwinxppresp3fix kbwinxpsp3fix kbfix kbbug kbhotfixserver KB887822|