When you install Microsoft Office 2003 on a Microsoft Windows XP computer, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Service 'MDM' could not be stopped. Verify that you have
sufficient privileges to stop system services.
This issue occurs when the Machine Debug Manager service is not set to automatically start.
To resolve this issue, you must modify the Machine Debug Manager service to start automatically. Then, you must restart the service and run the Office 2003 Setup program.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, point to Run, type MMC in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click File, click Add/Remove Snap-in, click Add on the Standalone tab, and then click OK.
- In the Available Standalone Snap-ins box, click Services, and then click Add.
- Click to select Local computer: (the computer this console is running on) in the This snap-in will always manage box, and then click Finish.
- Click Close, and then click OK.
- In the Services snap-in, expand Services.
- In the list of Services, right-click the Machine Debug Manager service, and then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Automatic in the Startup type box, and then click OK.
- Right-click the Machine Debug Manager service, and then click Restart.
After you follow these steps, you can install Office 2003.
Article ID: 889499 - Last Review: August 29, 2006 - Revision: 1.6
- the operating system: Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Student and Teachers Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
|kbservice kbtshoot kberrmsg kbprb KB889499|