When you run a software inventory on an Advanced Client that is running Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1), an access violation may occur in the SMS Agent Host service (Ccmexec.exe). When this problem occurs, the SMS Agent Host service stops responding. You may also receive the following error message:
The instruction at "memory_address" referenced memory at "memory_address". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
Service pack information
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Systems Management Server 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How To obtain the latest Systems Management Server 2003 service pack
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
No prerequisites are required.
You must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
20-Oct-2004 10:35 2.50.3174.1107 59,904 Invdatastore.dll
Hotfix installation instructions
Apply this hotfix to each SMS 2003 SP1 Advanced client in the SMS hierarchy. Also, apply the hotfix to your central site server. When you apply the hotfix, you may automatically create the SMS package and program that you will use to distribute the hotfix. To create the package and program and to distribute the hotfix, follow these steps.
Create the package and program
- Extract the SMS2003-SP1-KB890055-X86-ENU.exe hotfix file to a location that all your SMS 2003 site servers can access.
- Log on to the SMS site server computer by using an account that has administrative credentials.
- Double-click the hotfix file.
- In the Welcome to the Systems Management Server 2003 KB890055 Setup Wizard, click Next.
- On the License Agreement page, click I agree, and then click Next.
- In the KB890055 Installation dialog box, click Yes, I want to create a package and program now, and then click Next.
- On the Create a Package and Program page, click Next to accept the default settings.
- On the Specify Package and Source Location page, specify a location for the source files, or accept the default location.
- Click Next two times, and then click Finish.
- In the SMS Administrator console, expand Site Database (SiteCode-SiteName), expand Packages, expand KB890055 - Advanced Client Hotfix - SiteCode, right-click Distribution Points, click New, and then click Distribution Points.
Distribute the hotfix
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Systems Management Server, and then click SMS Administrator Console.
- On the Welcome to the New Distribution Points Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Copy Package page, click to select the server that you want to use as the distribution point, and then click Finish.
- Under Packages, right-click KB890055 - Advanced Client Hotfix - SiteCode, click All Tasks, and then click Distribute Software.
- On the Welcome to the Distribute Package Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Distribution Points page, click Next to accept the defaults.
- On the Advertise a Program page, click Yes, and then click Next.
- On the Select a program to Advertise page, click Next to accept the defaults.
- On the Advertisement Target page, click Create a new collection and advertise this program to it, and then click Next.
- On the New Collection page, type a descriptive name in the name box, and then click Next.
For example, type KB890055 - Advanced Client Hotfix Clients.
- On the Collection Membership Rules page, click the database icon.
- In the Query Rule Properties dialog box, type a descriptive name in the Name box, and then click Edit Query Statement.
- In the Query Statement Properties dialog box, click the Criteria tab, and then click Show Query Language.
- Copy the following sample query, and then paste the sample query to the Query Statement box. Modify the query to apply to your environment.
In this sample query,
XXXX is the hotfix build number that is provided
in the hotfix Knowledge Base article, and COMPONENT_NAME is the name of the
component that has to be updated. The following table lists some possible values for the component name.
Note In this sample query, the version numbers of the components do not have leading zeros. For example, "2.50.2726.4" is listed in the query, but "2.50.2726.0004" is not. When you modify this query, we recommend that you include version numbers that have leading zeros.
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|Component name||Display Name|
||CCM Policy Agent|
||CCM Status and Event Agent|
SmsClient||SMS Client Core Components|
SmsCommon||SMS Client Shared Components|
SmsInventory||SMS Inventory Agent
|SmsRemoteTools || SMS Remote Tools Agent|
SmsSoftwareDistribution ||SMS Software Distribution Agent|
SmsSoftwareMetering || SMS Software Metering Agent
|SMSSourceUpdateAgent||SMS Source List Update Agent|
select * from SMS_R_System inner join SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE on SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.ResourceID = SMS_R_System.ResourceId where SMS_R_System.ClientType = 1 and SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Name = COMPONENT_NAME" and (SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Version < "2.50.2726.xxxx" or SMS_G_System_SMS_ADVANCED_CLIENT_STATE.Version in ( "2.50.2726.4", "2.50.2726.5", "2.50.2726.18", "2.50.2726.1", "2.50.2726.16" ))
- In the Query Statement Properties dialog box, click OK three times, and then click Next.
- On the Advertisement Name page, type a descriptive name in the Name box, and then click Next.
- In the Advertise to Subcollections dialog box, click Advertise the program only to members of the specified collection, and then click Next.
- On the Advertisement Schedule page, click Yes, Assign the program, specify a date and time, click Next, and then click Finish.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section. This problem was first corrected in Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 2.
For more information about the terminology that is used in this article, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 890055 - Last Review: October 26, 2013 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003 Service Pack 1
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbfix kbbug KB890055|