Microsoft has released a Microsoft Office Word 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Word 2003. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- Issues that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- The files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office Word 2003 issues that are fixed in the Word 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated November 29, 2004.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issues that were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you use an ADVANCE field in a page of a Word 2003 document, Word may incorrectly move some of the text that follows the ADVANCE field to the next page. When Word puts the text on the next page, a blank area is left on the previous page where the text is supposed to be.
This issue occurs when all the following conditions are true:
- Text is contained in a frame, and the frame covers the whole width of the page.
- The text that is affected by the ADVANCE field is positioned underneath the frame by using the vertical position that is specified in the ADVANCE field.
- When you make changes to a Word 2003 document, Word may stop responding. Additionally, if you open Task Manager, you see that the CPU usage is 100 percent.
This issue may occur when all the following conditions are true:
- In the Page Setup dialog box, the Different first page check box is selected on the Layout tab.
Note To open the Page Setup dialog box, click File, and then click Page Setup.
- You view the document in Print Layout view.
- You have the track changes feature turned on.
- The Use Balloons (Print and Web Layout) option on the Track Changes tab is active.
To view this tab, click Tools, and then click Options.
- The header of the document contains a NUMPAGES field.
Note The NUMPAGES field is recalculated when the track changes feature is turned on. The track changes feature shows the NUMPAGES field as deleted and inserted.
- The footer of the document contains an XML tag.
- You type or change text in the document so that the revision balloons appear in the right margin.
- If you create and then save a new document from a template that is located
on a Web server in Word 2003, customizations from the template are missing when you reopen the
document. This issue affects customizations to items such as
toolbars, AutoText entries, and macros.
This issue occurs when you create a new document from a template that is located on a Web server. This issue occurs because a temporary copy of the template is copied to the Temporary Internet Files folder on your computer. When you save and then close the new document, the temporary copy of the template and the template customizations in the Temporary Internet Files folder are deleted. Therefore, the new document is no longer attached to an existing template, and the customizations that existed in the original template are not present.
Service pack information
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For more information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with SP1 installed or without SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on Office 2003 with SP1 than we have on Office 2003 without SP1. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without SP1, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For more information about this hotfix, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Microsoft Knowledge Base 890932 Description of the Word 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package: December 14, 2004
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to enable any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
29-Nov-2004 16:13 5.0.2919.6304 6,599,200 Office2003-kb890471-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information.
Date Time Size File name
29-Nov-2004 03:47 9,315,840 Winwordff.msp (Full-File/Administrative)
29-Nov-2004 02:20 2,523,648 Winwordop.msp (Optimized)
After the hotfix is installed, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
23-Nov-2004 22:14 11.0.6413.0 12,050,632 Winword.exe
- For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For more information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for updating Office 2003 installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses for software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 890471 - Last Review: January 15, 2015 - Revision: 5.5
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kboffice2003sp2fix kbtemplate kbfield kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup kboffice2003presp2fix KB890471|