Microsoft has released the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office 2003. This article describes the following information about the hotfix package:
- Issues that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Office 2003 issue that is fixed in the Office 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated December 7, 2004.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- If you check the spelling of a Dutch word that contains a superfluous hyphen in Microsoft Office Word 2003, the word may be flagged as incorrect. If you then click Change All, the spelling checker may cause Word 2003 to stop responding (hang).
If you press the ESC key when Word 2003 stops responding, the spelling checker may prompt you to continue checking the document. This may not restore Word 2003 in all circumstances. You may have to use Task Manager to close Word 2003. To do this, follow these steps:
- Press CTRL+ALT+DEL.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Applications tab.
- Click Microsoft Word in the Task list.
- Click End Task.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For additional information about Office 2003 SP1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed or on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed.
However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed than we have on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed, some file conflicts may occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend it.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to use any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issue that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The Dutch version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
21-Dec-2004 16:56 188.8.131.52 232,538 214453_intl_i386_zip.exe
07-Dec-2004 16:55 5.0.2919.6304 165,408 Office2003-kb890483-glb.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information
Date Time Size File name
07-Dec-2004 16:27 182,272 Ptkff.msp (full-file/administrative)
07-Dec-2004 16:25 130,048 Ptkop.msp (optimized)
After this hotfix is installed, the Dutch version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
06-Oct-2004 21:16 184.108.40.206 155,648 Msspell3.dll
- For additional information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For additional information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for Updating Office 2003 Installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For additional information about the terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 890483 - Last Review: July 11, 2012 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office 2003 Proofing Tools
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbmui kbproof kbfix kbhotfixrollup kboffice2003presp2fix KB890483|