The following information applies to Microsoft Windows operating
system running with a DNA network. DNA is an unsupported network. This
article includes the following topics:
- Setup for Microsoft or 100-percent compatible system
- Network board software needs to be revision H for Windows 3.1
- Installing on DNA's propriety boards
- Persistent network connections
Setup for Microsoft or 100-Percent Compatible
Windows must be installed as "Microsoft or 100% Compatible" when
prompted for the network configuration.
Network Board Software Needs to be Revision H for Windows 3.1
Running Microsoft Windows operating system version 3.1 under the DNA
Networks software may produce some problems unless you have updated to
version 3.38 (Rev. H) of DNA Networks proprietary boards or to version
5.02 (Rev. H) of NetBIOS boards.
The following problems occur without the update:
- When running Setup /N from a workstation without a hard drive, the
"Install Applications" section of Setup can only modify the path,
not the drive.
- After entering either the graphical portion of Setup or when
running Windows, floppy drive A no longer is accessible and may
cause of the following error messages:
- Current drive is no longer valid.
- Cannot load COMMAND.COM.
- Insert disk with batch file.
- Network directories may not display in the following applications'
- AMI PRO version 2.0
- Versions 2.1d and 3.0 of Microsoft Excel for Windows
- Version 2.0 of Microsoft Word for Windows
- WordPerfect version 5.1
Installing on DNA's Proprietary Boards
If you are installing on DNA's proprietary boards (as opposed to
NetBIOS boards such as EtherNet), the following information applies:
- If you are using DNA's MegaNet board, Windows must be told not to
use the same area in memory that the board uses for the MegaNet
Window (a 16K page). To find out which page is being used, start
the machine without loading any memory managers and read the DNA
device driver banner. If it is says MegaNet, then note which page
it says it is using. Exclude this page from Windows by adding an
EMMEXCLUDE= entry to the [386Enh] section of the SYSTEM.INI file.
For example, if the DNA banner reads
then add EMMEXCLUDE=C000-C3FF to the SYSTEM.INI file.
If the DNA banner reads
then add EMMEXCLUDE=C800-CBFF to the SYSTEM.INI file.
- Each machine that is running Windows should be using the DNA
program WINFIX.COM. WINFIX.COM should be installed in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT file and can be found on DNA distribution disk 1 in
the FIXES subdirectory. This will keep DNA from displaying the
Unsupported NetBIOS call
when Windows is executed. It will also allow Windows to properly
detect network printers and drives that have been redirected over
the DNA network.
- DNA networks do not support Windows running in 386 enhanced mode
as the master (server) if a DNA MegaNet board is installed running
in MegaNet mode (the board is using a RAM window). Windows can
still be run in 386 enhanced mode at workstations.
- Print Manager functions are not supported. The DNA network
utilities PRINT.SYS and SPOOL.SYS (together with the SPOOL command)
provide the same functionality.
Persistent Network Connections
If you are using DNA network software on a machine without a hard
disk, and you are using persistent network connections under Windows
3.1, you may not be able to use drive A after Windows is started. You
will need to restart the computer to gain access to drive A.
DNA has confirmed this to be a problem with its network driver. An
updated driver can be obtained from DNA.
To disable persistent network connections:
- Run Control Panel.
- Choose the Network icon.
- Clear the Restore All Connections At Startup check box.
- Choose the OK button to save your changes.
The products included here (other than Excel, Windows, and Word) are
manufactured vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty,
implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or
Article ID: 89086 - Last Review: February 27, 2014 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft Windows 3.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 3.0a
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 3.11 Standard Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive KB89086|