Microsoft has released the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package for Microsoft Word 2002. This article describes the following items about the hotfix package:
- The issues that the hotfix package fixes
- The prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart your computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Word 2002 issue that is fixed in the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package that is dated February 3, 2005.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package fixes the following issue that was not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- If you create and save a new document from a template that is located on a Web server in Microsoft Word 2002, customizations such as toolbars, autotext entries, or macros are missing when you reopen the document.
This problem occurs because when you save and close a new document that is based on a template that is located on a Web server, the document is copied to the Temporary Internet Files folder. This folder resides locally on your computer. If you make changes to the customizations in the document, the changes are saved to the local version of the attached template. The template is deleted when you save and close the new document.
Note After you install this hotfix, the template that is located on a Web server becomes the attached template. It is not a local template.
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, submit a request to Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office XP SP3 installed.
For more information about Office XP SP3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3
- The optimized version of this hotfix requires Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or a later version.
For more information about the Windows Installer requirement, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Office XP updates and patches released after September 2002 may require Windows Installer 2.0
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). However, we have tested this fix on Office XP SP3 more extensively than we have on Office XP SP2. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office XP SP2, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is replaced by a later hotfix.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the Word 2002 post-Service Pack 3 hotfix package: February 24, 2005
You do not have to create or to modify any registry keys to use the hotfix that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Size File name
03-Feb-2005 23:37 8,314,368 Winwordff.msp (full-file/administrative)
03-Feb-2005 22:27 2,969,088 Winwordop.msp (optimized)
After you install the hotfix, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table:
Date Time Version Size File name
02-Feb-2005 23:23 10.0.6750.0 10,627,784 Winword.exe
For morel information about installing this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the package.
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses when correcting software after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 893603 - Last Review: April 7, 2006 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Word 2002 Standard Edition
|kbautohotfix kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbtemplate kbbug kbfix kbhotfixrollup kbofficexppostsp3fix KB893603|