After you log on to a computer by using a non-administrator account, for example, a limited user account, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- You may receive an error message that resembles one of the following error messages:
Game requires Administrative rights to play.
You must have administrator priviliges for downloading the update.
- The game does not recognize that the game disc is in the CD drive.
- The game does not let you save files.
- The game does not let you open files.
This behavior may occur in Microsoft Windows XP or in Windows Vista when you log on to the computer by using a limited user account. Older games require administrative rights to operate correctly. Additionally, newer games require administrative rights to go online and retrieve updates.
This behavior is by design.
To work around this behavior, grant administrative access to individual programs.
To do this on Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Right-click the program's file name or shortcut.
- Click Advanced, click Run with different credentials, and then click OK.
- Start the program.
- When you are prompted, type an administrative user ID and password.
- Right-click the game executable file, and then click Run as administrator.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
Article ID: 893677 - Last Review: September 28, 2011 - Revision: 10.0
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe
- Microsoft Flight Simulator X Standard
- Microsoft Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
- Microsoft Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion
- Microsoft Age of Empires II Gold Edition
- Microsoft Age of Mythology
- Microsoft Age of Mythology Gold
- Microsoft Age of Mythology: The Titans
- Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3: Battle for Europe
- Microsoft Dungeon Siege
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: Century of Flight
- Microsoft Freelancer
- Microsoft Halo: Combat Evolved for PC
- Microsoft Impossible Creatures
- Microsoft Links 2003
- Microsoft Links 2003 Championship Edition
- Microsoft MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries
- Microsoft RalliSport Challenge PC
- Microsoft Rise of Nations
- Microsoft Train Simulator
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon Complete Collection
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon: Dinosaur Digs 1.0
- Microsoft Zoo Tycoon: Marine Mania
|dftsdahomeportal kberrmsg kbprb KB893677|