You cannot change the product key for Microsoft Office XP, for Microsoft Office 2003, or for the 2007 Microsoft Office system without first removing and then reinstalling Microsoft Office.
To resolve this issue, follow the steps in this section.Important
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
If you try to open any Office programs after you complete the steps, you receive a message that prompts you for a valid product key. Make sure that you have a valid product key before you start these steps.
To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me
" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself
Fix it for me
To fix this problem automatically, click the Fix it
button or link. Then click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and follow the steps in the Fix it
- The Fix it solution make a backup of your registry, the backup file is located in "C:\bak" folder with name like "Backup_For_KB895456_OfficeVersionNumber.reg". You can double-click the .reg file to restore your previous Registry settings if your new product key does not work.
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, save the Fix it solution to a flash drive or a CD and then run it on the computer that has the problem.
Then, go to the "Did this fix the problem?
Let me fix it myself
- Close all Office programs.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following subkey, depending on your version of Windows and of Office:
2007 Office system64-bit versions
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\RegistrationOffice 2003
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\RegistrationOffice XP
2007 Office system
- Export the
You can make a backup of the values under the
Registration subkey if the new product key does not work. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click the
Registration subkey, and then click Export.
- In the Save in list, select a location to save the registration entries.
- In the File name box, type a name for the .reg file that you want to export, and then click Save.
Note In steps 4a through 4c, you created a backup of the
Registration subkey. You can restore the Registry settings of the
Registration subkey by double-clicking the .reg file that you saved in step 4c. The contents of the .reg file are automatically exported to the Registry.
- Under the
Registration subkey, there may be several Globally Unique Identifiers (GUID) that contain a combination of alphanumeric characters. Each GUID is specific to a program that is installed on your computer.
Click a GUID. Then, view the version of Office that is listed in the right pane for the
Productname registry entry. After you find the GUID that contains the version of your Office program, follow these steps:
- Right-click the
DigitalProductID registry entry, click Delete, and then click Yes.
- Right-click the
ProductID registry entry, click Delete, and then click Yes.
For more information about how to identify the correct GUID for the version of the Office suite or program that you have installed on your computer, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the numbering scheme for product code GUIDs in 2007 Office suites and programs
Description of numbering scheme for product code GUIDs in Office 2003
Description of the numbering scheme for product code GUIDs for Office XP programs
- Close Registry Editor.
- Open an Office program, such as Microsoft Word. When you receive a message that prompts you for the product key, type the correct product key, and then click OK.
Did this fix the problem?
- Check whether the problem is fixed. If the problem is fixed, you are finished with this section. If the problem is not fixed, you can contact support
- We would appreciate your feedback. To provide feedback or to report any issues with this solution, please leave a comment on the "Fix it for me
" blog or send us an email
Artikel-ID: 895456 - Geändert am: Montag, 16. Juli 2012 - Version: 9.0
- Microsoft Office Basic 2007
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
- Microsoft Office Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
- Microsoft Office Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
- Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
- Microsoft Office XP Developer Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office XP Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office Access 2007
- Microsoft Office Access 2003
- Microsoft Access 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Excel 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office InfoPath 2007
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Outlook 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2007
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2003
- Microsoft Publisher 2002 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Word 2002
|kbhowto kbtshoot kbregistry kbfixme kbmsifixme KB895456|