Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. This article describes the following information about the hotfix package:
- Issues that the hotfix package fixes
- Prerequisites for installing the hotfix package
- Information about whether you must restart the computer after you install the hotfix package
- Information about whether the hotfix package is replaced by any other hotfix package
- Information about whether you must make any registry changes to use one or more of the hotfixes in the package
- Files that the hotfix package contains
This article describes the Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 issues that are fixed in the Outlook 2003 post-Service Pack 1 hotfix package that is dated March 30, 2005.
Issues that the hotfix package fixes
This hotfix package also fixes the following issues that were not previously documented in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
- When you use a public folder that has multiple servers, the first server in the server list is not available. The Outlook client computer may experience a delay when it receives the contents of the public folder. Additionally, the Outlook client may experience a delay when it receives the public folder notification that is sent when the contents of the public folder change.
- When you try to view the public folders that are available in Outlook 2003, Outlook 2003 may stop responding. This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
In this scenario, Outlook 2003 tries to access this server even when a replica server is available.
- The primary public folder server is offline.
- Outlook 2003 does not add this server to the dead server list.
- When you try to accept an update to a meeting request in Outlook 2003, you may experience one of the following issues:
Additionally, if you click the Scheduling tab, the e-mail alias for the organizer is replaced with either your e-mail alias or the e-mail alias of another attendee.
- You receive your own meeting request response.
- Another attendee to the meeting receives your meeting request response.
- You receive the following error message:
You cannot respond to a meeting without an organizer. You must add an organizer field to the item.
- When you try to start Outlook 2003 on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 or Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, Outlook 2003 may not start. Or, Outlook may stop responding as soon as it starts.
Additionally, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following error message:
This issue occurs if the following conditions are true:
Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Modname : MSPST32.dll
- You enable physical address extension (PAE) support on the Windows Server 2003-based or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition-based computer.
- The Windows Server 2003-based or Windows XP 64-Bit Edition-based computer has 4 gigabytes (GB) or more of RAM.
Service pack information
This problem was first corrected in Office 2003 Service Pack 2.
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for Office 2003
A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix. Note
If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note
The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
The following list contains prerequisites for the hotfix package:
- The optimized version of this hotfix is a post-Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix. To install the hotfix, you must have Office 2003 SP1 installed.
For more information about Office 2003 Service Pack 1, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of Office 2003 Service Pack 1
- The full-file version of this hotfix is also the administrative version of this hotfix. You can install this version of the hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed or on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. However, we have tested this hotfix more extensively on a computer that is running Office 2003 with Office 2003 SP1 installed than we have on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed. If you install this hotfix on a computer that is running Office 2003 without Office 2003 SP1 installed, some file conflicts might occur. We support this configuration, but we do not recommend this configuration.
You do not have to restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement information
This hotfix is not replaced by any later hotfix.
You do not have to create or modify any registry keys to activate any hotfixes that this package contains.
Hotfix file information
This hotfix contains only those files that are required to correct the issues that this article lists. This hotfix may not contain all the files that you must have to fully update a product to the latest build.
The global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone
tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
31-Mar-2005 00:44 5.0.2919.6304 4,285,984 Office2003-kb896253-enu.exe
Microsoft Windows Installer .msp file information
Date Time Size File name
30-Mar-2005 23:17 3,922,944 Olkintlff.msp (full-file/administrative)
30-Mar-2005 23:09 545,792 Olkintlop.msp (optimized)
After the hotfix is installed, the global version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table.
Date Time Version Size File name
17-Mar-2005 23:01 6.5.6981.6 727,040 Cdo.dll
24-Jun-2004 05:08 11.0.6361.0 116,424 Contab32.dll
27-Aug-2004 00:47 11.0.6402.0 31,944 Dumpster.dll
27-Aug-2004 00:48 11.0.6402.0 106,696 Emablt32.dll
22-Jan-2005 03:04 11.0.6419.0 215,240 Emsabp32.dll
26-Mar-2005 05:06 11.0.6501.0 704,200 Emsmdb32.dll
12-Feb-2005 09:41 11.0.6422.0 131,784 Emsui32.dll
19-May-2004 00:54 11.0.6355.0 778,944 Mapir.dll
19-May-2004 00:53 11.0.6355.0 30,408 Mlshext.dll
26-Mar-2005 05:06 11.0.6501.0 1,359,048 Msmapi32.dll
10-Mar-2005 15:16 11.0.6426.0 717,512 Mspst32.dll
03-Mar-2005 22:21 11.0.6425.0 653,504 Outex.dll
11-Nov-2004 04:35 11.0.6411.0 3,057,864 Outllibr.dll
11-Mar-2004 22:02 11.0.6254.0 279,240 Pstprx32.dll
18-Mar-2005 18:41 11.0.6500.0 232,648 Scnpst32.dll
18-Mar-2005 18:41 11.0.6500.0 241,352 Scnpst64.dll
- For more information about how to install this hotfix, see the Readme.txt file that is included in the hotfix package.
- For more information about the differences between the two .msp files, see the "Strategies for updating Office 2003 installations" topic. To see this topic, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
For more information about the terminology that Microsoft uses for software that is corrected after it is released, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates
Article ID: 896253 - Last Review: July 11, 2012 - Revision: 4.0
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager
|kbautohotfix kboffice2003sp3fix kbhotfixserver kbqfe kboffice2003sp2fix kbfix kbhotfixrollup kboffice2003presp2fix KB896253|