This article describes how to disable the Microsoft Windows New Hardware Wizard that appears when you set up an Epson Printer in Microsoft Business Solutions - Point of Sale (POS).
When you connect most Epson receipt printers to a computer, the New Hardware Wizard prompts you to install the Windows drivers for the device every time that you start the computer.
We recommend that you use the Epson OPOS drivers instead of the Windows printer drivers. Therefore, the Windows print drivers for these devices are not needed. When the Windows printer drivers use the same port that is used by the OPOS drivers, the OPOS Check Health function can fail.
To prevent the New Hardware Wizard from appearing when you set up an Epson receipt printer, follow these steps:
- If you are using OPOS drivers for the Epson printer, remove all Windows drivers for the Epson printer from Control Panel. To do this, click Start, click Control Panel, click Printers & Faxes, select a driver for the Epson printer, and then press DELETE. Repeat this step as needed for each Epson printer driver.
Note You should also delete any other Windows printer drivers that are using the same port that is used by the Epson receipt printer.
- If the printer is not already connected, connect the Epson printer to the computer, and then plug the printer into a power source.
- Turn on the printer, and then restart the computer.
- When Windows loads and the desktop appears, the New Hardware Wizard will appear.
- If you are prompted to search for software, click Yes, and then click Next.
- In the New Hardware Wizard window, click to select Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next.
- Windows may or may not be able to install a Windows driver for the printer. The installation process will complete regardless of success, and a prompt confirms the status of the driver. In that prompt, clear the Don't prompt me again to install this software check box. Then click Finish.
The next time that the computer is started, Windows will not try to install any Windows printer drivers for the Epson printer.
Article ID: 897004 - Last Review: November 2, 2013 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Business Solutions Point of Sale 1.0
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbmbsmigrate kbhowto KB897004|