have a Windows XP-based computer that has IBM Integrated Bluetooth III
installed. When you try upgrade to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you may
experience the following symptoms:
- Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard does not appear in the
Note To locate the Communications menu, click
Start, point to All Programs, and then point
- The driver information in Device Manager is not updated correctly. Actiontec appears as the driver provider even though the driver is updated to the Microsoft driver that is included in Windows XP
Although the Bluetooth File Transfer Wizard does not appear, you can
still use the file transfer function to send and receive files by using
This issue occurs because the driver provider of IBM
Integrated Bluetooth III is Actiontec even if the driver itself is made by
To prevent unnecessary update of third-party drivers,
Windows XP SP2 checks if the Bluetooth driver's provider is Microsoft. If the
driver provider is not Microsoft, Windows XP SP2 does not update the driver
To resolve this issue, use the Hardware Update Wizard to
manually reinstall the Microsoft Bluetooth driver that is included in Windows
XP Service Pack 2:
- Click Start, click Run,
type devmgmt.msc, and then click
- Expand Bluetooth Radios, and then
double-click IBM Integrated Bluetooth III.
- Click the Driver tab.
- If Actiontec appears next to
Driver Provider, click Update Driver, and
then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
Caution If the driver provider is not Actiontec, do not perform steps 5
through 8. If the driver provider is Widcomm, it is especially important that
you do not perform steps 5 through 8 because you may lose the Bluetooth
function. If you want to switch from the Widcomm driver to the Microsoft driver,
follow the IBM guide.
- Click No not this time, and then click
- Click Install from a list or specific location
(Advanced), and then click Next.
- Click Don't search. I will choose the driver to
install, and then click Next.
- Click IBM Integrated Bluetooth III
(Microsoft), click Next, and then click
third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies
that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 897096 - Last Review: August 31, 2005 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (SP2), when used with:
- Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition