Important This article contains information that shows you how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem. Before you make these changes, we recommend that you evaluate the risks that are associated with implementing this workaround in your particular environment. If you implement this workaround, take any appropriate additional steps to help protect your system.
When you try to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 (SP3), the installation fails. This issue occurs when the following conditions are true:
- When you try to install the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, you receive the following error message:
- When you try to install the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 after you download the NDP1.0sp3-KB867461-X86-Enu.exe file, you receive the following error message:
Then, you are prompted for the temporary location for the Netfx.msi package.
Error 1706 The feature you are trying on a network resource
which is not available NETFX.MSI
To work around this issue, follow these steps:Warning
This workaround may make your computer or your network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.
- Create a new folder that is named Framework on drive C.
- Download and then save the .NET Framework 1.0 and the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 file in the C:\Framework folder. To obtain the .NET Framework 1.0 and the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Extract both of the downloaded files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type C:\Framework\dotnetredist.exe /t:c:\Framework\ /c, and then click OK.
- Click Start, click Run, type C:\Framework\dotnetfx.exe /t:c:\Framework\extracted\ /c, and then click OK.
- Turn off or disable any antivirus or third-party firewall software that is running on the computer.
Note An antivirus program is designed to help protect your computer from viruses. You must not download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit Web sites that you do not trust, or open e-mail attachments when your antivirus program is disabled.
For more information about computer viruses, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Computer viruses: description, prevention, and recovery
- Clear the temporary folder. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type %temp%, and then click OK.
- Delete all files and folders in the Temp folder.
Note If you cannot remove all files, go to step 6.
- Extract the NDP1.0sp3-KB867461-X86-Enu.exe file to the root folder of drive C. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt:
- Try to install the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3 again.
To do this, click Start, click Run, type msiexec /p c:\S867461.msp /l*v c:\sp3.log REINSTALL=ALL, and then click OK.
- If you are prompted for the Netfx.msi package, the package is located in the C:\Framework\Extracted folder.
- This step logs installation results to the C:\Sp3.log file.
- After you have reinstalled the .NET Framework 1.0 SP3, re-enable any antivirus or third-party firewall software on the computer that you turned off in step 4.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
"Enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'netfx.msi'" error message
Article ID: 908907 - Last Review: December 3, 2007 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3
Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.