When you embed sound files in a Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 presentation, the size of the presentation file may not increase as much as expected. Additionally, when you view the slide show on another computer that does not contain all the linked files, you may receive an error message that resembles the following:
Cannot find the specified file. Make sure the path and filename are correct.
This issue occurs because only .wav files can be embedded in PowerPoint 2007 presentations. All other types of sound files are linked to the presentation. If .wav files exceed the file-size limit, the .wav files are also linked. They are not embedded.
To work around this issue, use one or more of the following methods.
Method 1: Convert sound files to .wav files
Use a sound program to convert the sound files into .wav files.
Method 2: Embed sound files in the presentation
Embed the larger .wav files into your presentation, and then play them back on a different computer. Then, you will not need to copy each sound file separately. To do this, increase the Max Sound File Size
To use this method, follow these steps:
- In the presentation, click the sound object.
- On the ribbon, click Sounds.
- In Sound Options, increase Max Sound File Size to a file size that is slightly larger than your largest sound file.
Note The maximum size that you can type is 50,000 kilobytes (KB). This equals 50 megabytes (MB).
- Delete the sound objects that are currently not working. Then, reinsert the sound objects into the presentation.
The sound objects are now embedded in the presentation. Therefore, the sound objects are ready to play on any computer.Notes
- You have to reset the play settings for each sound object after you reinsert it into the original presentation.
- This process increases the file size of the presentation by the size of the sound file that is embedded.
- These steps apply only to .wav sound files.
Method 3: Use the "Package for CD" feature
Use the Package for CD feature to bundle all the presentation and associated sound files. Then, unpack these files into a directory on the new computer before you run the presentation.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Office Button, select Publish, and then select Package for CD.
Note If you are prompted regarding how to update to compatible file formats, click OK.
- In the Package for CD dialog box, click Options.
- Click to select the Linked files and the Embedded TrueType fonts check boxes. Then, click OK.
- Click the Copy to Folder button in the Package for CD dialog box.
- Type a folder name, and then type a location in which you want to create the package. Click OK.
- Click Yes when you are asked to include linked files in your package.
- In the Package for CD dialog box, click Close.
These steps create a Package for CD folder that includes the sound files and a PowerPoint Viewer.
Article ID: 913654 - Last Review: October 15, 2007 - Revision: 1.4
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
|kberrmsg kbhowto kbprb kbsound kbnewfile kbexpertisebeginner KB913654|